Rockwell 62-042

crashbellhd

Hello everyone. Long time listener first time caller.

I inherited a Rockwell 62-042. Very little rust, blade comes on and off, fence seems to move okay, gears seem well maintained. However, when I plug it in and turn it on, it will run for about 5 seconds and then trip a breaker. 

I examined the cord and the motor as well as I can. Doesn't look to be anything obviously wrong. My barn is about 8 years old and have power receptacles all over the place and run several Dewalts, and other things in there with no problem.

Looking for advice and people to point out the glaringly obvious that I may have missed. 

Dual voltage motors have a cover you can take off to change the wiring for 120v or 240v.  I'd take that cover off, and make sure all the connections with wire nuts are good. 

If that's not the trouble, I'd take it to an electric motor repair shop.  I'm fortunate to have a great motor guy.  

• Like 1

I don't know the particular motor on that machine, but some single-phase AC motors use a starting capacitor to provide enough phase shift to create torque from a dead stop. A centrifugal switch on the motor shaft is supposed to open when tbe motor reaches speed, disconnecting the capacitor. If that switch fails, and does not open the circuit, a common symptom is high motor current, resulting in a breaker that trips in short order.

In any case, a trip to a motor repair shop is in order.

• Like 1