stanely bull nose (#75?)

outofstepper

greets all.

I've finally come around to cleaning up a small stanley bull nose plane.

Picture:

031203.jpg

maybe its a toy? but its the only rabbet plane I have.. it would be really

nice for cleaning up some small tenons (which I'm working on now).. hence trying

to get it back into shape.

Its cleaned up nice, but for the life of me I can't get it to work properly.

By that I mean it either slips right across the surface (no cut) or it immediately

hangs.. as if I'm taking too large a shaving.. but I've got this adjusted down

so fine I doubt thats the case.

are the toe and heel pieces supposed to be on the same plane, like regular plane?

ie whole sole is flat and in one plane? or is the toe supposed to be slightly

higher?

the toe is so short I think I may be leaning back a bit to get it started.. once

the rest of the plane gets on there, theres not enough blade left to cut.. so

it just slides.

Anyone have one of these? tips?

-Tony

this is the only rabbet i have as well. make sure the iron is on right i had issues with that at first and make sure its sharp. also the front is NOT on the same plane as the body. its such a small plane to hold that that is something that makes it difficult to use as well. I put my index finger in the opening on the front of the plane where shavings get trapped behind my finger. its not the idea place but helps in guiding the plane. not sure what else i can tell you and again make sure the iron is super sharp.

are you using it as a traditional rabbet plane? not sure i have done this yet. I use it to clean tenon shoulders.

Thanks J. I don't have a rabbet plane, no, just my old trusty chisels.

I'm working on a small table (with WAY too many tenons) and I thought I'd pull

this out of the toolbox.

How much higher would you say the toe is from the sole of the plane?

This is no height adjustment on these things.. I'd have to grind it back a bit.

Maybe I could put some shims in the body and try out different heights.

My tenons on this project are only 1/2" wide x 2" long on the cheeks.. I would've

guessed this thing would be perfect for it.

yeah it shouldnt be very much i cant recall off the top of my head how much difference it is. I only learned about the difference in plane because i was restoring mine to usable condition and one of the pages i came across i think was patrick leaches site and he mentioned not to flatten the sole because of the difference.

The section of the sole ahead of the iron is not co-planar with the sole behind the iron. The plane is purposely made this way to assist it with its cut (you guys what owns the 'lectrical jointahs should know why the plane's sole is the way it is) so there's no need to practice sole lapping on it. 1

how sharp is the iron? been honed etc? mine when i got it wouldn't cut either until i just got it razor sharp.

1. http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan10.htm