Solar Kilns

Askland09

Hey All,

I was curious if any of you have had any experience with a solar kiln or have bought solar kiln dried lumber in the past?  My father and I are potentially going to build one that can hold enough to dry about 500bf of material or enough for a couple hobby woodworkers to keep busy.  And also offer the kiln to others that are willing to wait about 2-3 months (given weather conditions and thickness of material) a cheaper alternative.  Currently have an Alaskan Mill with no intention of upgrading any time soon.  The plans I'm looking at are from Oregon State University's website.  Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be awesome.  

Thanks!

• Like 2

Check on the Forestry Forum, and Sawmillcreek sawmill and kiln forum.  I'm sure there is lots of information online as well.

I had one for years that was nothing more than a tin covered building painted black on the top and South side.  I'd buy bundles of lumber one year for building a house the next year, and stack whole bundles in there.  It was supposed to be dry to start with, but would still move some over the next year.  Since it was already "dry", we didn't sticker it-just cut the straps and left it cooking to see which pieces moved, and which didn't.  

I'd still have it but a hurricane uprooted a very large tree that took it out, and haven't really had a need to rebuild it.