delta 10" unisaw needs repair

curlyoak

IMG_9107.thumb.jpeg.bbdc2fbf109b30726b628b218e2264fe.jpeg

Yhe other end of the shaft is the crank wheel to raise and lower. There is noise coming from the other end. In the picture the other end has the collar with a set screw. I loosened the screw and slid the collar back. No different. The noise and stiffness is beyond the collar, Is there a ball bearing chase that it goes to? How would you replace it? It is useable as it is for now. But hard to crank. Thanks for any thoughts.

My saw has no vacuum sucking out the spoils. Would the marine grease still be a good choice?

On 12/11/2022 at 11:04 AM, Tom King said:

It's probably going to take a couple of drops of oil to get inside the bushing to start with.  Grease might make its way in later.  I'd put that collar back where it was.

I sprayed wd40 with lithium at the bushing area with the collar temporarily slid out of the way. It was less exposed on the other end. could not move the collar due to access.I did spray the area.The noise is measurably less and the crank is less tight. 

I would like to take it completely apart and get it working smoother but that kind of work is intimidating. My greatest concern is that it would be Pandoras box or Humpty Dumpty. The exact opposite of confidence with wood project. Because of that I will call the improvement good and move on. And hope it stays in the newer condition for a while.

• Like 1

compressed air will help, but don't drive dust inside bushings with it.  Both ends and the gears need to be greased.  I use a drop of two of 30W where grease is not likely to get inside bushings.  Clean it all out, grease every mating part, and it will probably operate as good as a new one.

On 12/12/2022 at 1:48 PM, Tom King said:

grease every mating part

The problem is access. I can barely see the collar on one side. Lucky it is the quite one. And it has improved. It would require me to twist my body like a pretzel on my back. Maybe a long time ago. Not now. For starters the motor would need to come out. Not my pay grade.