Grinding wheel out of balance

mlehikoinen

So, I picked up a white grinding wheel from Lee Valley and from the first time I used it, my grinder started vibrating so badly, the workbench it was clamped down to started moving across the room!

So, I picked up a Oneway grinding wheel balancing kit and followed the steps, but can't seem to get the wheel to balance. I've got all three screws/washers on the light side of the wheel, and they all still slowly float to the top and the wheel still vibrates like a sonuvagun bouncing the edge of anything I want to sharpen.

Is it me or the wheel that's FUBAR?

If you can't simply true the wheel up with a wheel dresser and you know the grinder is fine you should be in good shape. If you have a dial indicator I would check the runout on your grinder's arbor and then check the wheel when it's mounted on the grinder (power off obviously). If you don't have a dial indicator I wouldn't bother buying one for this reason but they are nice to have. Seriously if it is vibrating alot don't keep using it, I have seen one explode before, I was about 10ft away I almost had to change my shorts. I would call Lee Valley and have a talk with them.

Nate

I just bought a MasterCraft 8" grinder put it on my bench (stock wheels) ran quiet and little to no vibes. I then bought a Norton 3x wheel from Lee Valley and Wolverine jig and mounted it on a spacer block + wide base. my bench is attatched to beems in the basement and wife comes down the stairs wondering whats making so much noise through the whole house. I noticed in the Wolverine instructions that it says if the grinder has rubber feet they should be removed and mounted on the the bottom of the new base.So I will try that and see what happens.

Well I removed the rubber feet from the bottom of the grinder. (grinder is bolted to a spacer block which is screwed to a base.) and replaced them on the bottom of the new grinder base. The vibes were a little better I guess rubber on wood vs wood on wood. I checked the mounting of the wheels and they were fine( all 3 bushings were there). I then remounted the stock wheel and was back to very little vibes. I find it hard to believe that my $80.00 MasterCraft with stock 36 & 60 grit wheels ran nice and my $ 52.00 wheel makes it shake the house. So it's fixed now bye using a 1/4 " steel plate to wear it a bit and a diamond bar wheel dresser.

Thanks for the feedback all. I took the feet off as well now.

Also, after attempting to dress the wheel (before balancing), I just discovered that it knocked the wheel out of round. After attempting to balance it above, I dressed it again and pulled it off and balanced it again. Lather rinse, repeat and now I have a wheel that is true and balanced.

Guess it takes a few attempts sometimes.

Thanks again. I appreciate the feedback.

I worked as a grinder (CNC, bearing manufacturer) and along with the job came the courses and experience. NEVER stand in front of a grinding wheel. If it is unbalanced it is potentialy lethal. The time that grinding wheels most often fail is when they are gaining speed when you first start the machine, so be sure to stand aside always during this time. Grinding wheels absorb moisture, so make sure they "spin" dry before shutting down the machine (the water will migrate to the lowest part of the wheel and unbalance it). If you are having problems with vibration from an unbalanced wheel(stone) after it is dressed, don't use it. Most wheels have some form of unbalanced state from manufacturing, but it should be stable with dressing it round. I don't know if anyone makes a balancer for home bench grinders (would be expensive), the ones we used were computer controlled and the wheels ALWAYS got spun dry for 1/2 hr. (big wheels) before shutting down the machine for changeovers, shutdowns, etc. Be safe.