Greenhouses, anyone?

JohnG

We expanded our garden this year and are now also considering getting a greenhouse to extend our growing season and possibly allow for citrus growing (Zone 7b).

Anyone have any pointers? I’m looking to buy, not build, if there are decent options. 

Here in South Florida I grow orchids and have a greenhouse. We call them shade house as protecting from the heat is important. But it does get cold and the shade house gets winterized. Not helpful to you. But the point is the best advice on what you need is answers from those in 7b. They know the local tricks. 

On growing an orange tree. They take an enormous amount of space. and hight. I think it would be better to buy aaaaa fancy oranges then the time and money it takes to get fruit.

The best universal advice I have is to make it at least 15% bigger than you think you need. Plus enough room for a table and 4 or more chairs. Could be the best spot on your property for a glass of wine with a meal. Or your morning newspaper and a cup of coffee. Besides the obvious benefits, done right it becomes a destination on your property. If you do this you will not regret it. Best of luck!

• Like 2