Little picnic table

JayWC

I recently started and am almost finished with a small picnic table for my little one. It was one I picked up free from craigslist that was falling apart and had graying wood due to weathering. I supposed it's a reclaimed wood project. We have taken it apart, sanded, rounded over the edges, chamfered the ends, drilled pocket holes, stained and are beginning reassembly. In hindsight I probably could have almost bought new wood, but...it's about the journey and shop time with my little one right? :) I'm posting it only as inspiration for spending time with our little ones because it's definitely not an example of great woodworking. My daughter is 3 years old and been helping me work on her 'new' little picnic table. She tells complete strangers how she "loves" her new table. Shop time can be frustrating with a 3 year old running around and learning safety, but the joys far outweigh the headaches. She sees tools in the store and either knows what they are or 'wants' one. Makes me smile deep down.

Wood - a few bucks to drive and get it.

New bolts/nuts/washers - a few bucks

Hearing my daughter tell people about her table while beaming - priceless

You may notice the hole in the middle of the table top for an umbrella. A few years back I built a 4x8 sandbox for my daughter. I provided 6 holes for an umbrella since we have 3 so we can adjust where the shade is over the box to avoid little one getting a sun burn. My wife asked if I could do a similar concept on the table. I didn't want to make the table ugly with a lot of holes in the top so I made the slide out blocks you can see in one of the pics. I am going to mount them under the table top on the ends and surprise my wife when I get the table home from the shop. We will have the flexibility to put the umbrellas in multiple positions without the ugly. I think when it needs stain in a few years I am also going to putty the old nail holes on the top. I wish I had done that before staining this time too.

post-3726-0-37437000-1300798518_thumb.jp

post-3726-0-05832300-1300798520_thumb.jp

post-3726-0-64525400-1300798521_thumb.jp

I recently started and am almost finished with a small picnic table for my little one. It was one I picked up free from craigslist that was falling apart and had graying wood due to weathering. I supposed it's a reclaimed wood project. We have taken it apart, sanded, rounded over the edges, chamfered the ends, drilled pocket holes, stained and are beginning reassembly. In hindsight I probably could have almost bought new wood, but...it's about the journey and shop time with my little one right? :) I'm posting it only as inspiration for spending time with our little ones because it's definitely not an example of great woodworking. My daughter is 3 years old and been helping me work on her 'new' little picnic table. She tells complete strangers how she "loves" her new table. Shop time can be frustrating with a 3 year old running around and learning safety, but the joys far outweigh the headaches. She sees tools in the store and either knows what they are or 'wants' one. Makes me smile deep down.

Wood - a few bucks to drive and get it.

New bolts/nuts/washers - a few bucks

Hearing my daughter tell people about her table while beaming - priceless

You may notice the hole in the middle of the table top for an umbrella. A few years back I built a 4x8 sandbox for my daughter. I provided 6 holes for an umbrella since we have 3 so we can adjust where the shade is over the box to avoid little one getting a sun burn. My wife asked if I could do a similar concept on the table. I didn't want to make the table ugly with a lot of holes in the top so I made the slide out blocks you can see in one of the pics. I am going to mount them under the table top on the ends and surprise my wife when I get the table home from the shop. We will have the flexibility to put the umbrellas in multiple positions without the ugly. I think when it needs stain in a few years I am also going to putty the old nail holes on the top. I wish I had done that before staining this time too.

My only comment is I hope you are going to trim the bolts and smooth them with a file.

• Like 1