Portable Workbench Design - Some help needed

So, this isn't your 'standard' portable workbench question. Essentially, what I'm looking for is a design that will fit into the sidebox of my semi, yet still not have to much walk or rock while, say, planing, or cutting on a side-clamped board. The idea is to do some small woodworking stuff while in my downtime at a truck stop.  I'd considered a Japanese style floor bench, but anyone who's spent any time in recent times in a truck stop knows that sitting on the ground is not wise.

Size-wise, I can fit about a 12W x 24L bench. Legs might have to to be removable. As for stability, I was debating possibly sandbags? As well as a way to side-clamp on such a limiting bench.

Also, was wondering if anyone had advice for more affordable options for hand planes that would be feasible options until I can build a budget for some Veritas ones. I have some decent chisels for now and saws. But a couple of hand planes are still needed (Lee Valley, Lie-Nielson, etc are just not in the current budget, and power tools would get me lynched by nearby sleeping drivers. So, hand tools are the only option. 

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!

On 6/4/2023 at 7:11 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Steve, I suggest looking up Chad Stanton and/or Jay Bates on Youtube. They both have videos on shop-built "work horse" designs that incorporate features of a traditional woodworking bench into a compact sawhorse space. Chad also has a break-down moravian bench that might scale down to your needs.

For stability, maybe you could incorporate  a clamp at one end to attach the bench to your tractor, using the mass of the machine to your advantage. 

Thanks, I'll definitely check those out! As for the clamp idea using the truck for stability, that's actually a great idea if I can manage it. I initially thought to just clamp a bench down on top of the  catwalk behind the sleeper, but after checking it out, it's not really feasible

• Like 1

If you can manage a design with legs to hold the top level, fixing one end to a large mass, lije the one you drive around in, will make it plenty stable to resist the horizontal forces of sawing and planing. The legs just need to keep it level-ish, and resist pounding on the top. Maybe a design with a very rigid top, and a single pedestal leg at one end (reduces problems with uneven ground), and a hook or clamp on the other end to attach to the truck.

• Like 2

I don't know if the Black & Decker Workmate is still around, but they used to make a fairly heavy-duty 400 model.  Might work for your needs, or be supplemental.  Also look at the Kreg portable work bench.  Just some "store bought" ideas.

• Like 2