Fixing out of square panel

I was working on a chess board recently. It came out ok, but i came across a pretty basic problem that i don't really have an efficient solution for. So I'm posting to ask how others solve this. 

--> You're making a panel, or a cabinet door, or something along those lines and after the glue dries and the clamps come off, you check it and it's no longer square. 

But you need to remove as little as possible to retain the size you're currently at. 

How do you go about correcting this?

Thanks... 

Edited by D W C
Remove question

Pictures would help but most likely if it was solid wood I would use a hand plane to square up two sides to 90 degrees and the trim the other two sides at the table saw. If plywood I would use a track saw to clean up two sides to 90 then the others at the table saw.

• Like 1

Sounds like you've solved your problem, but I'll chime in anyways to perhaps add a little bit.

I think you have to get precise on what "out of square" means - is it two, three, or four corners off of 90 degrees? (I don't think just one corner can be if I remember my geometry.)

If it's two corners off, then you have one side that needs to be trimmed and not a lot of decision making to be done.

If it's three corners and you're happy with the one corner that is 90, then you are trimming the two opposing sides parallel to your good corner.

Otherwise, I think it's a pkinneb says, it's a subjective judgment to find the best square and make 3-4 cuts to get there.

Nice looking chess board btw.

• Like 1

Thank you @Von. I'm a little ill prepared to answer your questions, but your points are solid and well received.

As best as i recall, i think that all 4 corners were somewhat out of line. I put a on mitered frame around the playing surface and nothing was aligning well.

I fixed it by squaring each side on a sled but it's not a super efficient method. I squeaked by this time but wanted to pick the minds of more experienced folks. 

It's funny, I've identified a few areas where I'm trying to get better, and so it's "back to the basics" time in my shop. 

Anyway, thank you, appreciate the thoughtful reply and good ideas offered. 

• Like 1

I am a litel confused.  Is the playing surface without the border out of square? or did you notice the out-of -square after adding the border?  I will assume that the paying surface is not square.  If you stand back and look at it and cannot notice the out-of- square - call it good.  You may decide that you want to square up the playing surface but you don't want the squares along the edge of the playing surface to be out noticeably out of square.  So you usually have to compromise.  Using a square to check the corners is not the final determination - appearance is. 

When it comes to putting a border on a piece that is not quite square - I thought that I had posted info on a jig that I made to cut miters for any polygon dead accurately even if the angles were not exaclty what they were supposed to be.  That was a few years ago and unfortunately I cannot find it. Sorry.

@Ronn W yes, you have it right. The playing surface is what i was referring to. I was having trouble getting the frame to fit, and when i checked the corners for square, none of them were. So I'm trimming it on the table saw to square everything up but had precious little stock to work with before the squares on the outer edges start looking smaller than the interior squares. I should've left some addl meat on the outer edges for trimming. Live and learn. Thanks.

PS if you do find any info on that jig, I'd be real interested to see it! Thx