Rag to riches

BillyJack

On 8/9/2023 at 1:28 PM, BillyJack said:

What products have you bought that were cheap, but became main products/machines in your shop?

Pocket screw jig. I use it on shop furniture, jigs, drawers, and a lot of hidden joints. I often use pockets screws to hold dado joints in place while the glue dries.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2023 at 7:41 AM, fcschoenthal said:

I saw this portable bandsaw on sale for $79, so I figured, why not. It actually works pretty well for the few times I used it.

Then they came out with this $99 stand to mount it in and it was a game changer. It make it a lot easier to wield when cutting bigger stuff, but also locks vertically. I find myself using it all the time for little stuff instead of a hacksaw. 

Good to know! I don't cut a lot of metal, but every time I do I wish I had a better way.

• Like 1

I had heard over the  years from woodworking members on several forums the HF 12x36 lathe was a-good starter lathe for the money. While working at the furniture company I had heard of them buying a HF  lathe years before I got there and they had only used it once and it was in storage. They had mentioned they needed another router and I offered a PC 690 for an even trade for the lathe. They did 

I haven’t had a chance to set it up , but I have high hopes..

• Like 2