Pros and cons of the TS55 vs. the TS75?

Texfire

My ongoing shop design process has helped me identify my needs and challenges. One of them is a way to manage sheet goods, my benchtop Bosch 4100 table saw is not really suited to balancing full 4'x8' sheets on, not to mention arranging outfeed and infeed space to deal with them would be challenging. This led me to decide to go with a knockdown platform that mounts on sawhorses, with some sort of circular saw to rip the sheets down with into manageable portions. The cheap way would be a circular saw and a straight edge, and I considered that, but decided that one of the track saws would fit my needs while addressing my desire to keep the shop as dust free as possible and not blow the budget. This led me to compare the Dewalt, Makita and Festool saw/track combos, and a bunch of vacillation. There were some things that the Dewalt did better on paper, and some that Festool did on others. The Makita won on price, but not much else.

Today I went down to the local Woodcraft and fondled the tools for a couple of hours and looked at different combinations. I've decided to get a Festool. The track finally sold me, I even considered using the Festool track with a Dewalt saw, but decided to get a Festool and a CT36 at the same time for the package discount. I'm still going to get something from Dewalt, the tracksaw router mount that will work with my Porter Cable 690s. I know that the saw and track are more expensive, but I doubt that will matter much down the line as I use it.

Now that I've decided on the Festool line, I'd like the feedback of actual users. Would you get the TS55 or TS75? I think the TS55 will meet my initial needs for 3/4" sheet goods, but is there something that the TS75 will do better for me down the road?

I'm glad you took the plunge. I purchased the TS 55 about three years ago and haven't looked back since. I now have 2 routers and 2 sanders to match. I wouldn't give them up for anything. The dust collection is what sold me. You might find some discussions over at Festool owner's group (FOG) as well so I highly recommend checking the threads over there.

For my two cents, I'd go with the 55. I've used it to cut down a ton of ply and even used it to rip 8/4 Ash for my workbench. The plans were 6 ft long x 8" wide. I had to cut them in two passes but it was still usable. If your primary task is breaking down ply there just isn't a better system out there (at least not with the great dust collection). The more I learn of Festool the more I buy into their system approach, which I why I'm glad you went with them over the dewalt or makita.

I've played with the 75 at the local vendors and it's just too big for my tastes. The lighter 55 is easier to wield especially when you are outstretched like I was last night breaking down some pricey cherry ply.

Good luck and beware this slippery slope.

The TS75 just gives you more cut capacity. The question you need to ask yourself is if you'll ever need it. And if you think you might need it once or twice in the next 5 years, you then have to ask yourself it he extra weight and bulk is worth it in the mean time. I have had the TS55 for years now and have yet to hit a snag where it didn't have enough capacity. Much like Mr. Nichols above, I find the TS75 to be a bit unwieldy and too heavy for my taste. The TS55 just feels right to me. So just another opinion to help you think it over.

I have the TS-75, but if I only used it for sheet goods, I'd prefer the TS-55. I also use mine for edge jointing hardwoods. While I have not used a TS-55 personally, my talks with people who have them and use them for 8/4 hardwoods is that it is more bogged down than a TS-75 would be. I recently used it to rip a 15' plank of 8/4 Walnut to make handrails. It wasn't a board I wanted to push through the table saw especially given the heavy items I'd have to move to have 15' of clearance in front of the saw. That wouldn't have been a fun task with the TS-55, but then does this come up often? I actually hope not.

I have both the TS55 and the TS75. I bought the TS75 first with the thought that there was nothing the 55 could do that the 75 could not; but the reverse was not true. Later I add the 55 to my set and it is now my go to tool in the shop. Their have been some tasks that were too much for it and it was nice to have the power of the 75. If I had to pick only one to keep it would be the TS55 since I use it 90% of the time.

-Gary

Thanks for the feedback folks. I got the TS55, a second 55" track w/connectors and a CT36 at the package price. Decided that I didn't have a need for the additional cut capacity of it's larger brother right now, if at some point in the future that changes I can upgrade, but the money I saved paid for the second section of track. Someone pass that lime green cool aid. ;) I'll post my impressions when I get a chance to run them through the paces.

• Like 1

TS55 was my choice, and here's why:

Having tried the straightedge-slide-with-ancient-wormdrive, I discovered that trying to cut thick material sucks, and is better suited to a big stationary tablesaw. Most of your tracksaw needs will be relatively thin sheet stock, and about the thickest you'll see is 3/4" ply. By the time you're thick enough to need a TS75 rather than a TS55, you'll probably hate cutting whatever it is with a tracksaw anyway. =)

I picked up a TS55+vacuum a while back for some sheet good work and have been very pleased.

A couple questions on accessories:

- what do people use for making square crosscuts? (I see the angle guide accessory, and also a parallel guide system for the track)

- how many use the plastic; outrigger splinterguard on the saw? (I haven't yet)

- how long do the blades last in plywood?

thanks,

Matt

I picked up a TS55+vacuum a while back for some sheet good work and have been very pleased.

A couple questions on accessories:

- what do people use for making square crosscuts? (I see the angle guide accessory, and also a parallel guide system for the track)

- how many use the plastic; outrigger splinterguard on the saw? (I haven't yet)

- how long do the blades last in plywood?

thanks,

Matt

I use an MFT-1080 for square cuts; if I didn't, I'd use the Qwas Square. It attaches to the guiderail and can be set square (fastest way is with Qwas dogs on an MFT, but a square to set it will work). Generally, people don't like the angle guide accessory. I don't have it, but a lot of people complain about it.

I always have the outrigger splinterguard on. Doesn't hurt anything; makes for clean offcut edges, which is especially important for plywood since usually the offcut will be the next piece.

Any other really useful accessories?

MFT table seems popular, as is the boom arm for the vacuums.

Is anything in the accessory kit a "must-have"?

(I'm still working with the basic saw/track/vacuum)

Matt

The outrigger splinter guard :) Seriously, plywood offcuts come out clean.

To me the MFT is a fantastic accessory to the tracksaw. Very useful in a number of ways. The key is the CNCed top. If you have an MFT (or similarly CNCed top -wink-), you can take advantage of that in a lot of ways.

I have a section of my blog on the MFT... modifications, review, etc. Here's a link to the section. The first entry is to a video I did. It's in three parts so you could skip to part 3 if you want to see why the CNCed top and accurately milled dogs called Qwas dogs and Rail Dogs can do. This is the reason I'm getting my other bench's top CNCed to the same hole pattern and, more importantly, same accuracy as the MFT top. Someday. I need to borrow a truck.

I bought the TS-55 to start with and, though I've flirted with the idea of trading up, I'm pretty much going to stick with it. Here's why: Like you would be, I use the saw primarily for sizing sheet goods. While it would be nice to have the ability to gang-cut 3 sheets of 3/4 ply, the majority of my cutting is on 3/4" or smaller individual sheets. The TS-75 is quite a bit larger and heavier, so most of the time I'd be pushing that extra weight and bulk for no reason. The saw costs more, weighs more, the blades cost more. Personally, I can't justify the added expense and effort for the occasions when it would save me a cut or two. YMMV.

The MFT is great! If you're working with sheet goods you need one. I'd suggest spending your money on the parallel guides instead of the boom arm, they're wonderful for making multiple rips at a consistent size. For other accessories get yourself some braided sleeving to wrap the cord and hose together, it's a real trick!

HTH,

Bill