Redwood Picnic Table and Benches

JayWC

I've been asked to post photos of an on-going project. My design is a 30" x 96" table with 4 benches. It should easily seat 8 people. I am attaching a PDF of my AutoCAD drawing I am working from and some progress pics. You might be able to see, I'm making the legs fold on the table for ease of storage. I'm not worried about the benches folding because they'll be easy to stack. All the hardware is stainless steel and I'm putting the first coat of stain/sealer/uv inhibitor on the parts before assembly to ensure that hidden end grain will be protected. Now...to get it finished! LOL. My favorite shot is of the bench legs with round-overs done, holes drilled and half laps cut. It's cool to me because you can see how proper machining (and I'm not blowing my own horn here, this is a shout out to backer boards/stops/etc.) can produce crisp matching precision parts. I'll post more pics as I go.

Picnic Table Model (1).pdf

post-3726-0-15221100-1303149268_thumb.jp

post-3726-0-39145900-1303149276_thumb.jp

post-3726-0-69633000-1303149286_thumb.jp

post-3726-0-48740900-1303149291_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Along with spending time cleaning and tuning the table saw this weekend, I prep'd the boards for the top of the picnic table and spreaders (spreaders not shown). I took the time to joint the board edges flat and rip them parallel so the final table has nice consistent 1/4" gaps between the boards down the whole length. Here the boards are all pushed together to see how tight and straight the edges are. After this I routed round overs on the edges. Legs are next. Should be using it this weekend!

post-3726-0-43271600-1306158288_thumb.jp

leg on the bench a little blotchy i got the same result when i used thompsons water seal on my deck if you can finish them in the shade or anywhere out of the sun it will try slower and not do this as much

yeah...the missus was doing the staining...she was a bit heavy handed in some places and didn't wipe out the stain evenly. as you can see from one of the other pics, the pieces were all stained in my shop. no sun effect.