Is Woodworking an Independent Hobby?

I've helped a buddy out in my shop. I'd do it again but his inability to put things back drives me nuts. I'm not saying my shop is always clean but I don't mind it as much if it is my mess.

My wife is getting into wood stamp carving and it's only happened once but one night we both wound up working in the shop at the same time. She was in the corner quitely working away while I was building. I loved having her there for those moments when I was thinking and not working. I am lucky that we enjoy being around each other a lot and just her presence made it nice. Plus I didn't feel guilty about working at night. We were still spending time together.

I hope that happens more often.

I find that when Im alone in the shop there is always that certain time where you get "in the zone". Time seems to not matter and you really get alot accomplished. I always feel good about what I was able to get done and find that I am much more relaxed during the next week. That being said, by far my favorite time in my shop is when I get that visit from my 5 year old daughter. When she knocks on the door I always stop what im doing and we put on her own saftey glasses and hearing protection (eventhough I dont use power tools with her in the shop) But we clean something, scrape something, use some simple hand tools, either way she likes it but changes her attention to something else pretty quick. Thats my favorite time. So I guess I prefer to work with (a very special) someone else.

I like to work by my self. I have friends that do woodworking too and we call each other about our projects and go to show together. I have done projects with someone else but it could be very hard......... not the same ideas, or teckneeks. Plus......... someone use my tools?????????????? It takes a very special person to work with me and use my tools........ Just a note: I do have about 2 woodworking friends I can work with..... That is because they have the same tools and feel the same way I do.

Man of wood

I agree with most folks that it is one of my primary "centering" activities. I get lost for hours in my sawdust and I always feel better for doing it.

With that said, my day job teaches me the value of collaboration. I have a fellow you might call a mentor. Periodically, I go over to his shop and talk sawdust and design. I always find those days every bit as rewarding as when I'm on my own.

As far as actually building with another person, I think it would be a rewarding experience, but I doubt it would by my first choice.

I don't mind hanging out in the shop and BS'ing about woodworking, but when it comes down to actually working wood I need to be alone. My father comes up once a week to help me out and it works great if I'm doing some home improvement project, but if I'm trying to work on a serious woodworking project I won't get anything done. I can't focus enough with someone in the shop. For me, building a piece of furniture is like playing chess (probably isn't for most, but I'm a little slow) I really need to concentrate on what I'm doing and think it through. Having said that I have no problem listening to Wood Talk Online while I'm working in the shop!