Skateboard Deck Finish

ulloa_josh

Ok, this is a question I probably already know the answer to but curious to hear your thoughts. The skateboard is a longboard and will be used for casual riding, no tricks or grinding, etc. I assume something from Epithanes is the best choice for this and I plan to order some for future builds. For now though, I have two choices; Armor Seal which I love and use all the time or GF Enduro Var which I have not used but I think is supposed to be more durable. Which should I go with? Is Enduro Var really more durable? Thanks for the help.

Josh

If anyone's interested I went ahead and tried out gf enduro var. It's a water based product that according to general finishes is supposed to resemble the look of an oil finish plus have great durability. The skateboard was a mix of mahogany, walnut, and maple and I'm pleased with the results. I didn't do a side by side with armor seal but really don't think there would be much difference as far as appearance in the wood. On the negative side, it really wasn't fun to apply, as it dries super fast. I thinned maybe 20% with water and wiped on as best I could. Maybe brushing or even spraying would work best? Anyway, it does seem to level itself out and I didn't notice any uneveness or streaking once fully dry. I think it's a good product, just hard to apply but that could largely be due to user error :). Photo attached to check out for yourselves.

post-1865-0-20527200-1304223648_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...