Beall Wood Buff

sbarton22

I just purchased the Beall system. I should have it up and polishing by the weekend. I'm really excited.

My question is, moving forward, how does one polish the inside of a box? Am I correct is assuming that I should polish before the glue up? I usually sand to final grit before glue up. I'm just wondering if I accidentally polish the joint (say a miter), is that going to prevent the glue from adhering? Could it actually improve it as the end grain won't wick the glue away?

or

should I get the bowl buffers and use that on the inside? If that would get into the corners.

Thanks!

I'd dry fit, then put blue tape (painter's tape) on all the glue surfaces, then finish, then remove the tape and dry fit, then glue up. As long as most of the glue surface is clear, you won't have a problem with it holding. The big problem is that pieces that fit perfectly in the dry fit might not fit with a layer or two of finish on them. That's why there's a second dry fit before the glue up, so you can use some sand paper, etc, to fix any problems.

I have built small boxes coated with water-based topcoats and used Abralon high grit sanding pads (1000 up to 4000). They can be purchased individually www.bowlingbeat.com I use them by hand to smooth the finish. Then apply a good wax.

I use this method after the box is completely built and finished. My top-coats usually are rubbed to a satin finish though.<_< Using the beall, isn't that more for buffing to a gloss finish?

-Ace-

Blue tape is a great idea. In fact, I actually emailed JR Beall and he said to do the same thing. The second dry fit is an even better idea.

I am usually a satin type of finish guy as well. I feel like the wax/polishing route gives the gloss/luster of a film finish without the plastic look. I also to larger pieces lean being satin while smaller pieces lean to gloss. It makes the smaller pieces feel more a bit more special or "rich in flavor" while I like to let the design be the wow factor of the larger pieces.

*note: I have a contemporary minimalist design style, and on smaller projects, the parts can be so few that they can appear too simple

Actually, it wasn't long ago that one of the magazines did an article on the properties of a glue up and the fact that the glue does and should penetrate the surface is part of the holding power. So, in addition to the other reasons stated, I would definitely tape off the glue joints.