Random Helpful Tips

thewoodwhisperer

I plan on making posts in the future that pertain to little tips and tricks that make the forum more useful. There are a lot of little things that I didn't notice at first and it seems every day I find something new. So if you find something cool, post it here. I'll kick it off.

One of the most useful buttons on the forum is the View New Content link at the top right.

post-1-041851800 1281039984_thumb.png

Click that, and you'll be taken to a page that shows you all the unread items since your last visit. And if you click the different areas of the forum, right above the list, you'll see what is new in each area.

post-1-024847000 1281040117_thumb.png

And here's one more great tip to make reading long threads easier. When browsing through any forum, look for the little red box next to the topic title. If you click that, instead of clicking the title itself, you'll be taken to the last unread post. Think of those threads that go on for weeks and have multiple pages. How nice is it to simply zip right to the new stuff!

post-1-021821000 1281040299_thumb.png

Have any other tips? Add them to this thread.

One of the most useful buttons on the forum is the View New Content link at the top right.

Odd though that the refresh time was so far in the past. I have logged off and back on but whenever I click the "View New Content" it shows "There are 5 new entries since Today, 11:31 AM", not the current time. Any ideas?

LQQK

In your settings, you can select how the "View New Content" link works. By default for my account, it shows new posts since my last login. You can change that to show any unread posts. I use the latter setting.

One thing I noticed is that when you say "View New Content", you sometimes get a toolbar above the posts showing Forum, Members, Blog, etc. It seems to show you new member activity as well, although I haven't altogether figured it out yet.

Where is that setting Paul. Can't seem to find it.

So... you jinxed me... took forever to find it! Was on the first screen...

By your name in the upper right corner, there's a pull-down triangle. Pick that and pick "My Settings"

First screen you get is the following with the awesomely magical setting you want to change (well, I do):

post-50-014902800 1281054650_thumb.jpg

Is there a way to add the "View New Content" link at the bottom of the page too? I find that I read to the bottom then have to go back to the top to get back to the New content list. I tried using the back button on the browser but that takes you back to the page without it being refreshed. This forum is going to be fun. :D

Is there a way to add the "View New Content" link at the bottom of the page too? I find that I read to the bottom then have to go back to the top to get back to the New content list. I tried using the back button on the browser but that takes you back to the page without it being refreshed. This forum is going to be fun. :D

Not at the moment. When we get the site style changed, I'll see what we can do about adding the button to the bottom of the page.

I generally open the items in a new tab in FireFox. When I finish reading/replying I close the tab and the item I last clicked on is highlighted, just move down to the next one.

LQQK

Depending on your browser, you can make a button on your browser's toolbar for it. In FireFox, right-click the "View New Content" link and save a bookmark to it in the bookmark toolbar. Show the toolbar. Now just click it.

In IE, similar process except I link there it is called a Links toolbar (and you store the favorite in the Links folder, IIRC).

Depending on your browser, you can make a button on your browser's toolbar for it. In FireFox, right-click the "View New Content" link and save a bookmark to it in the bookmark toolbar. Show the toolbar. Now just click it.

Thanks. I am using FF and had no idea about that. :)

• 5 weeks later...

This may not be the place, but I can't find where to ask this question. Ok, under everyone's name in the forum is a little guy for adding as a friend and an evelope for a PM. How do I go about getting them under my name. Between this and getting pic's posted, I'm going crazy :unsure:

This may not be the place, but I can't find where to ask this question. Ok, under everyone's name in the forum is a little guy for adding as a friend and an evelope for a PM. How do I go about getting them under my name. Between this and getting pic's posted, I'm going crazy :unsure:

Hey Tom. These are already there under your name, you just can't see it. The system knows that you are you, so there is no reason for you to add yourself as a friend or send yourself a message, so those buttons are hidden from your view. That's why you don't see the same icon set that you see for other peopel. This is how it works for everyone. Make sense?