Getting an Early Start

I made us a set of adirondack chairs and a table a few years ago. Over the winter I had in mind to make a double-seater adirondack seat to match what I have along with another table. I was so glad the next Guild Build was an Adirondack chair. I started a couple of weeks ago. I would love to do the Greene and Greene style, but I am using my original pattern. I am so glad I made templates on my first set. The design is a simple one free from the internet but we have received several years of enjoyment from them. My last set was made from southern yellow pine with a varnish finish but had become quite weathered so my wife painted them blue. This project will be painted to match. I still have to install the seat boards, plug about 160 counter sunk screw holes, a little trim work and one final sanding. Also the make the little table.post-840-0-54725000-1304537909_thumb.jpg

Hey Everyone!!! Last night Hubby and I were sitting out on our back deck with a nice wood fire brewing in our outdoor fire place. We were sitting in the Adirondack chairs that I've built for us over the years, and last night I was brainstorming with my Hubby on what he liked and disliked about each of the styles. Taking into consideration some of the observations we made, I was thinking about making a mock up model (maybe out of poplar) where I can get the perfect form for my ultimate outdoor chair.

I have a beautiful double settee on my back deck...but some of the things I dislike about it are that it sits WAY too low to the ground for me, which my Hubby agreed with me on that one (shocking, I know). Some of our favorites had a more upright back and a little higher off the ground (legs more at a 90 degrees almost) which we thought were a little more comfortable for having a conversation with someone (sometimes the more relaxed chair designs feel awkward for having a conversation with someone...you feel like you're talking to the sky...and looking at the people you're talking to makes you kink your neck in a weird way). The other thing that we disliked about these chairs was the upkeep on the stain/finish...we get lazy with this chore. I'd like to look into some of the longer lasting finishes that don't require you to re-finish them EVERY year (if there is such a thing I hope to find it)!!!

Can't wait to hear what everyone's plans/ideas are for their G&G Adirondack Chair build. Take care and as always...Happy Woodworking!!! ~SunshineGerl

I made us a set of adirondack chairs and a table a few years ago. Over the winter I had in mind to make a double-seater adirondack seat to match what I have along with another table. I was so glad the next Guild Build was an Adirondack chair. I started a couple of weeks ago. I would love to do the Greene and Greene style, but I am using my original pattern. I am so glad I made templates on my first set. The design is a simple one free from the internet but we have received several years of enjoyment from them. My last set was made from southern yellow pine with a varnish finish but had become quite weathered so my wife painted them blue. This project will be painted to match. I still have to install the seat boards, plug about 160 counter sunk screw holes, a little trim work and one final sanding. Also the make the little table.post-840-0-54725000-1304537909_thumb.jpg

Bill, Settee is looking nice! I bought the "Adirondack trio" plans from Norm but its "still on the to build list" :) - looking forward to watching the Greene & Greene build.