Router Speeds for Larger Bits

bkooshian

Okay, newbie question: I have a 2.5 hp router with a 1/2" collet that runs at a listed speed of 23,000 rpm. I have a 1-1/4" round-nose bit that I am using on black walnut. Should I be using a speed control with this bit, and if so, how do I determine where I should set the speed?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

I don't remember where I got it, but I have the following chart taped above my router table. It gives suggested maximum router speeds for bits of different diameters. It's a starting point, anyway.

-- Russ

rspeeds.gif

Good advice from Russ and Darnell. New bit first time use; I creep up on the right setting using a bit of scrap of the material I am going to use. Set lower than the speeds on the table Russ posted in the case of the bit you mentioned I would go to 16,000 rpm or lower then try a few cuts and up it to see how it goes. Speed controls and min max tables are nice but as Darnell says if it starts to vibrate it is going to fast and it may destroy the bit or the work if this happens.

Thanks everyone for the good advice! I purchased an aftermarket speed control, but since (for obvious reasons) it didn't have the speeds listed on the dial, I calibrated it, then started slow and moved up to where I felt comfortable. The result? Next weekend, my niece will be receiving a walnut mancala board for graduation!

Thanks again!

Brian