Repairing a Table Saw Motor

Sycamore

I picked up a Rockwell 10" Contractor(?) Table Saw (Series 34-335) in the Craigslist Free section. SWEET!

I was told that it had a short in the cord, but that it had been working earlier that week.

I called up the family electrician to replace the cord. We plugged it in and threw the switch... Nothing.

He pulled out the pocket tester and verified the wires were hot all the way up to the motor.

So, for the general stuff:

Q1: Has anybody dealt with motor repairs on these old saws? Half the parts are discontinued.

Q2: It seems very much like an alternator... should I look for help at an alternator shop?

Q3: Does anyone know where I can learn some basic small motor repair online?

An exploded view diagram can be found here: Saw Parts List

The power cord(#188) comes in, the wires are each soldered to what

looks like the spring (#192)from a retractable pen.

One spring is wrapped around the base of each motor brush(#194) housing(#193).

Problem: one spring is in pieces and blackened. Solutions?

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Looking at the parts schematic, the 34-335 isn't a Contractor's table saw, it's a light duty, early year Motorized table saw. Anyway, if your electrician couldn't figure it out, then your probably going to have to take the motor to a electric motor shop and get an estimate.

1) Yes, and as that saw is direct drive the motor has an integral arbour. It isn't possible to just swap it out so it will need to be repaired if the saw is to be used.

2) No, pull it out and take it to a electric motor shop

3) There are several places online that will show in a Google search

The spring on the brushes needs to be whole, get your motor make and model and make some calls, replacement brushes should be well under $20 and are a good place to start.

Actually the motor is a belt drive, a very small belt Part 136, and is no longer available on that website. Weather or not anyone else offers it I have no idea. If you can't find a belt, it may not be worth sticking too much into the saw because you know that some day the belt is going to wear out. I had the newer version of that saw with the cast iron top until I sold it in 1995. I bought it new, and a couple years later I went out in the shop when it was really cold out, needed to make a quick cut and for some odd reason I had the board into the blade when I went to start it up, well it ate the cogs off the belt in a split second.

When you say you plugged it in and nothing happened, did it do anything at all? did the motor making a humming noise? Did your circuit breaker pop?

Did you check the wiring where the cord meats the leads coming out of the motor? Was anything loose in there or is there a possibility of any kind of short?

If there was no sounds at all coming from the motor I'd be inclined to look at the capacitor (assuming this is a capacitor start motor). The capacitor should have numbers written on it that say what type it is. An electrical supply store will be able to match it up if you bring them the capacitor. Another option is to just wipe your hands of it and bring the motor to an electric motor repair shop. That might get too pricey for you pretty quickly considering what you currently have invested in the saw (ie it was free so how much did you want to spend getting it to work?). If it is a belt driven saw then you could also replace the motor with another used motor having the same frame size, rpm, hp, and armature size.

So it turns out that fragmented, blackened spring was caused by a bad repair on the other spring.

The guy who gave it to me was probably trying to cut his losses.

The brushes still have plenty of life in them and the rest of the motor looks great.

$20 at a small motor shop and I'm back in business.

Thanks everybody!