Using Dyes

Pwalter5110

I am just about finished building a coffee table and end table for me living room using poplar. I used poplar because its cheap, and I am new to woodworking. I decided I am going to use dyes to add some color. But honestly I have no idea where to start. So is there any good books, and/or videos you guys have used to get accustomed to mixing dyes to make different colors? Like I said, I have no idea where to even start.

Go here, scroll down, and read the section on "Getting the Color You Want (Blending)" including "For tweaking stock colors,...". It's very brief but will give you a starting point until you can obtain more comprehensive information. Of course you'll want to experiment on some wood from your project build before applying it to your coffee table and end table.

I found this just after posting. On page two it has a section called "Changing the Color of the Dye". Similar idea to the link above.

Lastly, Fine Woodworking published a "The Best Of..." recently called "Finishing Wood". It's like a magazine, but with a theme. One of the articles is called "Dyes and Stains Work Better Together", subtitle "One enhances color, the other pops the grain". I found mine at Borders book store, but other stores that sell a lot of magazines should have it. You can also order it through Fine Woodworking online.