Roubo Update

sw1

Well it has been awhile, but I am close to completion. It is usable as is, but I am still considering what to do about a tail vise and the accompanying dog holes. This has also left me undecided on the end treatments as well.

post-153-0-88882100-1306279141_thumb.jpg

post-153-0-46898500-1306279175_thumb.jpg

Front view and close up of the Benchcrafted leg vise.

post-153-0-12364600-1306279218_thumb.jpg

Here is a close up of the shelf I installed. The shelf is all mixed scraps and is tongue and groove. I made some wedges out of Walnut to keep the shelf tight, but not permanently installed.

I figure this way I can lose some weight if I move it one day, and I can manage the contraction/expansion.

post-153-0-30192700-1306279387_thumb.jpg

Close up of the sliding dead man.

After reading Schwarz' book on workbench's I was ready to go to the BORG and get some SYP to make a bench like his. I live very close to where Popular Woodworking is located and Schwarz' home.

So I figured I could easily replicate the wood he used. I did some math, and realized I could get Hard maple and Poplar for less from my local sawyer. I spent a smidge over $200 on all the lumber and had it milled to my specs, so I had less work to do. I also figure I saved about 1 gallon of glue as well.