Upside Down DC?

Eric.

Hey guys, I was thinking about picking up this DC soon. I have a perfect place in the shop to put it IF I can flip the motor around 180 degrees and mount it upside down. Obviously the canister and bag will remain right side up.

Do you think that's possible or will it change the dynamics of the suction somehow?

Thanks for the advice!

g0548z.jpg

I dont think it would effect the suction but from what I remember reading along time ago is that some motors can burn up if run in a different orientation than what they are produced to be held in something about they have specific bearings that if the orientation is changed causes them to not function correctly I think was the reason? but I could be wrong so dont hold me to that

the only thing you have to watch for is vertical or horizontal. but being that your going 180, its not going to matter at all.

i was thinking of doing the same with mine and mounting it to a wall and raising the bag so that i can get a barrel under it.

It will be interesting to see if future offerings from Grizzly include this as a sales option... "thereby reducing the length of the main run" as the argument of changing the product...

It will be interesting to see if future offerings from Grizzly include this as a sales option... "thereby reducing the length of the main run" as the argument of changing the product...

Exactly! My opinion is that all DC's designs are inherently flawed by placing the inlet so low to the ground. Why? You know they could design them so the inlet is closer to the main, therefore decreasing the length and number of bends, so why not do it?

Since I can install this DC upside down, I will be eliminating at least two 45 degree bends and 6-8 feet of pipe.

How are you going to support the wieght of the motor? If unsupported it seems to me the vibration of the motor would cause metal fatigue I'm sure you've already thought about this fact I'm just currios of your solution. I'm thinking the reson Grizzly put the motor on the base was to support the motor, and the motor, and the stand pipe support the dust collection and filter. I'd like to see the end product when you've got it all tricked out.

How are you going to support the wieght of the motor? If unsupported it seems to me the vibration of the motor would cause metal fatigue I'm sure you've already thought about this fact I'm just currios of your solution. I'm thinking the reson Grizzly put the motor on the base was to support the motor, and the motor, and the stand pipe support the dust collection and filter. I'd like to see the end product when you've got it all tricked out.

I'll post pics when I get it installed...eventually. I've got some other pieces of equipment higher on the priority list.

I haven't given it any more thought than "yeah I can rig something to mount it," and I'm sure I can do it in a way that provides adequate support (I'm known for overkill when it comes to stuff like that :) ). It's going in a corner of the garage, so I'll mount some heavy-duty brackets or build a 2x4 structure to bolt it to upside-down. Should be fun!