Whitch city to go to in the US

ffs1973@gmail.com

Hello.

A question. I am planning to go to the States in January 2012 with my 5 year old boy. I want to have a lot of water acction for him and also som opportunity to buy handtools and wood for my self.

Have any of you out there som great tips on where to go. Is Miami the best? because of the temperature? are there any woodworking shops down there?

What about the area around the great lakes??

Hopefully som of you locals can help me.

Best regards

T.Robertsen

Well, if that's the criteria, I'd definitely look for which type of tool store you want to visit and then look for water parks around that. There are a bunch in my neck of the woods. Water parks, that is. I have to go 4 hours one way or 2 1/2 the other to even get to a Woodcraft store. Not ideal. I shop on the internet.

If you'll do some research on Virginia, they have a Kings Dominion (amusement park with a water park inside), just outside of Richmond. There's Williamsburg Virginia where you can take a walking tour of life as it was "in the old days" and see some very nice period furniture and you can even watch blacksmiths as they work. I'm not sure how close a Woodcraft or a Rockler's would be but you can also do a Google search and see how close they would be.

One thing though......you said you plan to make your trip in January.....it'll be too cold for a water park that time of year...even in Florida

You can come to Orlando. There's a woodcraft here, and more waterparks than most other places. Plus we have Universal and Disney and Sea World.

In Atlanta you've got Highland Woodworking, and White Water.

Hmmm sounds nice.

I might postpone the trip to late February, to get warmer weather. Is there any specific places in Orlando you would stay away from? I am thinking about the hotels and such. Don't want to reserve hotel in a bad neighbourhood :) since I am with my little son.

But other than that it seems like a good candidate. Thanks for the input, appreciate it :)

Best regards

T.Robertsen

Depends on how much you want to pay. The safest bet (and most expensive) is to stay at one of the hotels at Disney or Universal. Next would be the big chains like Hilton or Peadoby of Marriot etc. Then there are the lower chains that are still good. The Choice hotel group is what my wife and I use 90% of the time. They are locally owned, but always are very good.

One other option would be the Nickelodeon hotel:

http://www.nickhotel.com/html/water-park-orlando.asp

or Coco Key:

http://shop.cocokeywaterresort.com/coco/app/Landing/172/HOTEL