Looking for a hand tool alternative to a lock mitre joint...

DoctorDan

G'Day All,

My next project is an adjustable height lectern. The center column will consist of a four sided square column that can slide up and down within a larger column. The best method I could think of would be to use a locked mitre bit on a router table.

I'm looking for a hand tool alternative. I thinking of planing the mitre with a no 7, then using a plow plane with a 45 degree block on the fence, to make a trough for a spline.

Any thoughts welcome.

Daniel

Dan, about 6 years ago I built and English Arts & Crafts style wall shelf for my mom. The shelf was flanked by thick square column and I used QS white oak for them. I wanted the fleck to appear on all sides so I built up the column the way you describe with bevels and splines. Firstly the bevels were quite strong with the hybrid long grain/end grain joint. The splines added strength but then also really helped during glue up for alignment. That wall shelf has held up quite well to many pounds of cookbooks and a climate change from Maryland to Colorado.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll give Darnell's hook fence idea ago. But I'll check out the Woodwright's episode before starting. As much as I love dovetails is long and cross grain.

I've been nutting over the design a little. It's going to be tricky to get the visual weight of all the elements balanced.

lecturn.jpg

Adjustable+Reading+Desk.jpg