The dreaded "sand thru the veneer' question

Woodguyi

Greetings all, this is my first posting. My name is Doug, I live in Phoenix and have been wood working for about 15 years now. I have never sanded thru veneer until today. I am making a flag stand for the Valor network where I work out of solid and veneered walnut, I have sanded thru the veneer and have bright little yellow strips in a couple of places where dark walnut should be. I perused the 11 pages of finishing here and didn't see anything on repairing a sand thru on veneer. Things I have tried, ink, magic markers, fill pens, stain and it all seems to roll off the strips. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug in AZ. (aka woodguyi)post-4948-0-97023400-1307290232_thumb.jp

I ran into this awhile back and I tried to hide it with blendall sticks, a patch of new veneer, thought I had done a good enough job with it so I finished it. Well it looked like crap so I had to strip the finish and veneered over the whole thing. So obviously my advice is bite the bullet and just get it over with new veneer or a new piece. That's what I will do if it happens to me in the future. Just my 2 cents