Standing Mirror

ctdietz

Be kind, this is one of my first projects. Standing mirror, oak w/ a danish oil finish. Built for my wife for our anniversery. Lot of little things I would do differently if I could afford the wood twice, but also my first time trying non-mechanical joints, so I think there's a lot to be proud of. Also, ignore the mess. I'm doing this in a small Tuff Shed, stuff piles up quickly.

post-4960-0-37236400-1307391322_thumb.jp

Looks great!

What kind of non-mechanical joints did you use? Mortise and tenon?

Yup, Mortise and tendon. Also, admittedly did cheat a bit, in case you didn't notice the obvious stair rails holding up the mirror, but I don't have a lathe, and reall wanted that look. One of the things I would have done differently, not real happy with the transition to the feet...

Yup, Mortise and tendon. Also, admittedly did cheat a bit, in case you didn't notice the obvious stair rails holding up the mirror, but I don't have a lathe, and reall wanted that look. One of the things I would have done differently, not real happy with the transition to the feet...

Great job..I would not have not known they were stair rails until you mentioned it... :D

Scott

It's a great project. Good work! There is a lot to be proud of there.

and don't tell anyone what you did wrong or would do different - you're the only one that will ever notice.

The only thing I would have done different is to carry into the house before taking the picture. :)

It's a great project. Good work! There is a lot to be proud of there.

and don't tell anyone what you did wrong or would do different - you're the only one that will ever notice.

The only thing I would have done different is to carry into the house before taking the picture. :)

Thanks; It's a surprise gift for our anniversery next week; so I can't take it into the house until then. I wanted to 'show it off' though. Honestly didn't even notice the mess in my 'shop' until I was posting the picture online; I was otherwise too busy looking at the finished project.