Cedar Splitting

Hi!

I'm in the middle of making a glider/slider rocker for outside. I'm making it out of cedar, but for some reason, the wood frequently splits while driving screws in. I've tried pre-drilling, pre-drilling with countersinking, driving it slower, and applying bar soap on the screw threads so it gets screwed in better. I can say that the soap trick worked well, but it didn't totally eliminate the issue.

So, I was wondering, does anybody have any tips, ideas, or hints on why this is happening and how to prevent it? I'm almost done with my project, but it would be good to know in the future too.

Thanks!

Hi!

I'm in the middle of making a glider/slider rocker for outside. I'm making it out of cedar, but for some reason, the wood frequently splits while driving screws in. I've tried pre-drilling, pre-drilling with countersinking, driving it slower, and applying bar soap on the screw threads so it gets screwed in better. I can say that the soap trick worked well, but it didn't totally eliminate the issue.

So, I was wondering, does anybody have any tips, ideas, or hints on why this is happening and how to prevent it? I'm almost done with my project, but it would be good to know in the future too.

Thanks!

If you clamp the wood you're drilling into, it'll also be less likely to split.

How big of a pre-drilling hole did you make, and how big of screws are you using?

Thanks for the responses. I didn't use other types of joinery. I suppose I could tack them with a brad nailer, but I think the screws + glue looks nicer. On the other hand, the splitting wood looks worse.

I think part of my problem may have been me using too small of drill bit. Plus, I drilled the holes in a press and I think I may have put the screws in on an angle. It seemed like when I redrilled them with a larger bit and at the same angle they were going in, things were a little better, but still not 100%.

So, is the lesson here that if the wood splits, switch to a larger drill bit to predrill?

• 2 weeks later...

Western Red Cedar is notoriously easy to split. That's one reason they make shakes out of it. I am assuming you are using standard construction type screws w/ the trumpet head. If so I am willing to bet the boards are splitting just as you drive the screw home and seat the head into the wood. It acts like a little wedge forcing the wood apart. If you pre-countersink your screws I believe that will prevent that or use some type of pan head screw where the head remains proud of the wood surface. Finish rings in conjunction w/ an oval head screw is another possible solution. I hope this helps.