Sketchup for construction detailing

globalrajib

You can set up a series of scenes, kind of like frames in a film. Each scene would show a particular detail of the construction. You can click through the scenes manually in SU, or you can export an animation all the scenes. It's not the easiest way to do it, but if you want to fuss around with each scene and make micro changes you could get a very decent animation.

• 2 weeks later...

If you use sketchup Pro, you can add "Action" to the components that make it "Live". I always make items components becouse it keeps makes it easy to disasemble and assemble the parts. I "Build" a Door in a house by Builing each part, Header, Frame, Door and, like a french door with built in blinds, the blinds w/ glass on both sides. Then I code the macro with varibles and movements so that when I click on them, The door will open and the blinds will operate! Takes time to learn but I do this will all parts and this lets me see 'Interferance". Just build it to Scale and don't fudge! It has saved me materials and errors (not all)becouse I can catch them on the screen! I then print out the prints and off to the shop!

theoretically there are workarounds in SketchUp to make it happen such as using layers, animations, and scenes but it does not have the built in tools hat other applications have to generate floor maps and cutaway views in 3D automatically.