Making a rinky dink bandsaw more powerfull

mlehikoinen

Hello whisperers, I have a Delta 28-185c bandsaw (here are the specs, except that it's a North American model - 110V) which I picked up used for a song. With some new blades, it's okay, but it really takes very little pressure to stall out the motor. It's 0.2 HP. Too bad I didn't know how rinky dink that would be before buying it.

I was thinking about finding a similar rpm motor but with more power. Has anyone done this before? Is it feasible or should I just start saving for a new one?

I have done some resawing with it, but as I mentioned, you can really easily stall out the motor and the capacity is only 5".

I have the same model. I'll be wathcing this thread carefully. I have not tried resawing on mine. I primarily use it for trimming up close work on flat boards (less than 5/8") I recently replaced the blade, that helped a lot. I feed my material pretty slowly to avoid the stalling issues, but I'd really like to hear what others have to say as well.

My Dad used to tell me, "Wish in one hand, and crap in the other. See which one gets full faster." I have the same one, but I also have a Grizzly 14" G0555. The little one I just use for when I am cutting out shapes and stuff. Small things. I am not sure that there is a lot that you are going to be able to do to it. I think that the money you would spend on it, you would be better off investing in something bigger. Just my opinion..

if it were not for the fact that the motor is directly attached to the lower wheel you could probably upgrade the motor. I have seen belt driven bandsaws that people have upgraded the motor for more horsepower etc. without having one of those saws myself I would think it would take too much modification to get a new motor attached.

My Dad used to tell me, "Wish in one hand, and crap in the other. See which one gets full faster." I have the same one, but I also have a Grizzly 14" G0555. The little one I just use for when I am cutting out shapes and stuff. Small things. I am not sure that there is a lot that you are going to be able to do to it. I think that the money you would spend on it, you would be better off investing in something bigger. Just my opinion..

I agree with SAC. Keep the little one for scroll work and get a good, larger saw. I have a 9" Ryobi bench top and just got the Grizzly G0555X for resawing, veneer, etc.