Metal and clear coat?

I posted on here a while back about a bed I built for our newly born son. Well, I finally got the parts I've been waiting for to finish it. Part of the bed includes metal that was blued by a gunsmith. Took him about 6 months to do it, but whatever, they look good. Heres my problem. To keep them from eventually rusting, they need to be oiled. No one wants their kid to lick WD40 off his own bed though right? So I'm wondering if I could spray a clear coat on them and keep them from rusting? Anyone familiar with the bluing process and the possibility of the clear coat reacting with the steel negatively?

thanks for the help

Aaron

I wonder if you could use Renaissance Wax. Lots of folks use it to prevent rust on the cast decks of their jointers and saws. I've also heard of people and museums using it to prevent rust on swords.

I think I might have taken some shots of WD-40, so you might not trust my advise.

Would your gunsmith buddy have any suggestions? I'm sure he's had to use some sort of finish on guns that were meant for 'display only'. Just a thought..

Let us know whatever you find, as this is an interesting item..

I posted on here a while back about a bed I built for our newly born son. Well, I finally got the parts I've been waiting for to finish it. Part of the bed includes metal that was blued by a gunsmith. Took him about 6 months to do it, but whatever, they look good. Heres my problem. To keep them from eventually rusting, they need to be oiled. No one wants their kid to lick WD40 off his own bed though right? So I'm wondering if I could spray a clear coat on them and keep them from rusting? Anyone familiar with the bluing process and the possibility of the clear coat reacting with the steel negatively?

thanks for the help

Aaron

Aaron,

if the parts are propperly blued, then a simple wipe down with a silicon cloth (Rod & reel cloth at most sporting goods stores) should keep them from corroding.

One thing I do on my plane bodies to keep them from rusting is to spray a little shellac on them - I don't see why that wouldn't work here. Yes, shellac has a minute ammount of water in it, but it creates a shelll around the metal, preventing oxygen from hitting the surface, and thus oxidizing, or rusting

Hope this helps