Panel glue up jig

JeffT

I am getting ready to start a project that includes several panels that will need to be glued up. Does anyone have any cool plans/ideas for a jig to help keep the panel flat during glue up? I've seen several jigs for sale on sites like Rockler, but would like to build my own

I have had good luck simply using a set of cauls across the panel. The cauls are just some thick scraps which are flat or even slightly bowed. I recently glued up a desktop using this method, and took some pictures.

Start by arranging a few cauls on your clamping surface. I used my tablesaw with a layer of plastic sheeting to prevent glue drips on the saw. Put a caul every couple feet, the closer the better.

0bcfff3f.jpg

Then you can simply assemble the panel on top of the cauls, and put another set of cauls on the top in the same locations. Clamp the two cauls together at the end to make the panel flat, then add clamps across the panel to pull the joints tight. This worked great for me.

16c94a20.jpg

There was a recent article in Fine Woodworking Magazine about this method, and the short version is available at this link. I stole the idea from them to add some packing tape to the cauls - this keeps you from gluing the caul to your panels.

If you make your own cauls, you can add some bow to them so they are tighter in the middle. When you clamp them together at the ends, the middle gets "sqooshed" down tight. Technical term.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had good luck simply using a set of cauls across the panel. The cauls are just some thick scraps which are flat or even slightly bowed. I recently glued up a desktop using this method, and took some pictures.

Start by arranging a few cauls on your clamping surface. I used my tablesaw with a layer of plastic sheeting to prevent glue drips on the saw. Put a caul every couple feet, the closer the better.

0bcfff3f.jpg

Then you can simply assemble the panel on top of the cauls, and put another set of cauls on the top in the same locations. Clamp the two cauls together at the end to make the panel flat, then add clamps across the panel to pull the joints tight. This worked great for me.

16c94a20.jpg

There was a recent article in Fine Woodworking Magazine about this method, and the short version is available at this link. I stole the idea from them to add some packing tape to the cauls - this keeps you from gluing the caul to your panels.

If you make your own cauls, you can add some bow to them so they are tighter in the middle. When you clamp them together at the ends, the middle gets "sqooshed" down tight. Technical term.

Hi Aaron,

I use similar, slightly convex cauls (on top cauls) on some of my larger glue ups, or just when I'm feeling nervous, but not all the time.

Using the 45 degree clamping rule, it seems you are a bit short of clamps. Not likely to be big deal as your segments are pretty wide. If you ran out of clamps just go borrow some from Marc. He has a ton of 'em on the wall...unless those are prop clamps to give his videos authenticity.

I also strive to have the bars parallel to the workpiece surface, using scraps to hold bar off of the stock.

It is possible that you can introduce some bending forces with unparallel clamping.

The newer Bessey's have little plastic "hold aways" which is nice.

Thanks for posting the pix...a thousand words were saved.

I used the Woodriver Clamping System on my last big panel; I'm sold on them. You make your own cauls of 2x4 stock so make them convex if you like; better, cheap to resize for bigger or smaller glue-ups though the size adjustability is pretty good. What I like is that it pulls down on the two cauls simultaneously, it pushes in from both sides simultaneously, you only have one handle to crank, they are really easy to setup with the scissor mechanism on both sides, put boards down, put top caul, crank. 3 is perfect for a long glue-up since after they are on, you can casually go around adding lateral clamps. It was the easiest panel glue-up I've done especially working alone. Wait for them to be on sale and one of those "get $20 if you spend $50" cards; at least they are well made.

Using the 45 degree clamping rule, it seems you are a bit short of clamps.

I also strive to have the bars parallel to the workpiece surface, using scraps to hold bar off of the stock.

It is possible that you can introduce some bending forces with unparallel clamping.

Looking at it now, Tom, I agree with you on both tips - more clamps and parallel clamping. I remember being very content at the time because I had managed to get the seams fairly flat and the glue was squeezing out uniformly. This was one of those quick paced glue-ups that I maybe didn't fully prepare for. Luckily it all worked out fine.

Looking at it now, Tom, I agree with you on both tips - more clamps and parallel clamping. I remember being very content at the time because I had managed to get the seams fairly flat and the glue was squeezing out uniformly. This was one of those quick paced glue-ups that I maybe didn't fully prepare for. Luckily it all worked out fine.

boy, I know that one.

I'll focus on the thing that bit me last time.

Do a great job with that challenge (well, sometimes),

while overlooking a woodworking 101 aspect.

will you be at WIA this year?

I am booked and am looking forward to seeing our wto forum neighbors in person.

tb

• 2 weeks later...