my bumble bee earing holder

duckkisser

here is a small earing case that was a early box i tried making and as i make more iteams i get better at. but i like this form even though its got lots of problems. i am trying to get back a couple of the curved boxes that i made so that i can post on here. This box i call my bumble bee box because the inside is burned from the dull forstner bit and i liked the stripes so i kept them.

********************* view normal by clicking on save bottom right hand corner ill fix for future*****************************

post-4738-0-11346200-1309035685_thumb.jp

post-4738-0-83388000-1309035688_thumb.jp

Well, since this is the critique room...

I wouldn't have selected 1/4" Luan plywood for the top and bottom, it looks cheap and cheesy to me.

The gap on the top with the doors closed looks like it could have used some work.

The sanding on the inside looks like it was neglected, looks like burn marks, serious burn marks.

For a Bumblebee look might try alternating layers of contrasting wood to give a banded look like a bumblebee.

The kerfs for the earring posts look a little off, like they all weren't sawn at the same angle.

Finish looks rough.

That said, it is better than the woodworking I did this weekend (nada).

Well, since this is the critique room...

I wouldn't have selected 1/4" Luan plywood for the top and bottom, it looks cheap and cheesy to me.

The gap on the top with the doors closed looks like it could have used some work.

The sanding on the inside looks like it was neglected, looks like burn marks, serious burn marks.

For a Bumblebee look might try alternating layers of contrasting wood to give a banded look like a bumblebee.

The kerfs for the earring posts look a little off, like they all weren't sawn at the same angle.

Finish looks rough.

That said, it is better than the woodworking I did this weekend (nada).

Yep you are correct on everthing you said. This was a first just working out the form and and best way to make mastakes so i know what to avoid in the future....the ply whas what i got so to cap it off to finish the form. the second generation has thin maple caping it off i used old bent hinges and clasp. If you look close the screws in it are huge way to big for the latch. Thedoors are not even on strait oneis slanted several degrees. The second gen i dont even have hinges its just a curved mortise formed to fillow the inside curve of the box. And like i said i liked the burn so i kept it for comparison when i do my finish with dyes have mixed results(need input on how to have a natural random stripes). I used pine scraps to get form and dint start thinking of bumble bee till i was half done. And the kirfs were done on band saw which wonders and the second gen i used a small finetoothed hand saw to get perfect. Slant. Those slants where mostly to find the right size blade for cuting gaps for most earings.

Im still a huge novice buti wanted to post this so that iwould see if any one one would give mea honest rip cuting critique. As i said in post im trying to gets some of the other boxes i made that uses the same alternating swerling stripes. They are made better much better.