Festool conundrum

alindsey

Had a bit of a windfall lately and finally took a leap into the Festool system.

My score -

T-15 drill set

Domino

RO-150 Rotex sander

TS55 plunge cut saw

The only thing I didn't buy is a dust extractor and therein lies my problem.

The CT22 and CT33 are discontinued and the replacement models for those two, the CT-26 & 36, are not available until October 1st. There may be a 22 or 33 in a store somewhere, however I purchase my tools via the Festool dealer employee purchase program which means I have to buy them direct from Festool and they are sold out.

I've found the odd 22 and 33 on ebay but they're going for than I'd pay for a new 26/36 when they come out and with the redesign on the bag I'd rather wait until the new ones are available anyway. The new style of bag will not work on the 22/33 units and, while Festool is committed to making the older bags available for at least 7 years, eventually I would be left with an unusuable tool unless someone starts making after-market bags.

I don't want a MIDI/MINI CT as they will not accept the larger diameter hose which, when (not if) I buy a Festool router, would be less than optimal.

So in short, I will be buying a CT but not for a couple of months when the new models are available. In the meantime, what to do?

Anyone using Festool tools with another dust collection system? Some way of connecting to a wet/dry vac perhaps? I realize the performance wouldn't be up to par with using a CT but it would seem to be better than no dust extraction at all.

Fein makes a step adapter that will fit the D27 tool connector. The other end is over 1" OD, about an inch ID. Would have to go measure or find stats online. I bought mine at Woodcraft; do you ever go there? :)

If the other end fits your shopvac, all those tools will work fine. DTS/RTS-400, LS-130, and RS-2e sanders will work, too, although they really benefit from turning down the vac like you can the Cleantec (likely the ETS sanders, too; ain't got one). The RO-150 doesn't have an issue with a lot of suction; RO-125 does in random orbit mode on lower speeds.

Another option that may work better: buy a D27 tool hose. The D55 end could use an adapter to get to your shopvac, even if it's an ugly taper with duct tape (there are some Festool adapters for D55 that will get you at or near your shopvac connector). At least then the tool-side will be a perfect match. Later, when you buy the CT-26, order it with the D36 hose. You'll have one of each type of hose; the D36 is what you want to use with the router for maximum dust collection; the D27 does okay, but not if you're hogging off bigger chips. Just check to make sure you can swap the D36 for the D27 on your Cleantec order since you're on a special employee program; good dealers will all do it.

I say get that and wait for the CT-26. The CT-22/33s on eBay will continue to get at or near retail, they always have. Now that they aren't as available, it'll probably hit retail. The 26 has a self-cleaning filter to ensure consistent suction and added capacity for the same size (oh, built-in hose garage, too).

Let's see...hmmm...how to get a normal size shop vac hose to attach to something that doesn't quite fit...hmmm. DUCT TAPE!!!! DUDE!!! Show me your man card!

That won't work unless I use the Festool DT-85 "Stique" adhesive backed Universal Adaptor. It comes in beige and green and sells for $129 per roll.

That won't work unless I use the Festool DT-85 "Stique" adhesive backed Universal Adaptor. It comes in beige and green and sells for $129 per roll.

I honestly don't know if you're pulling my leg. I could actually see Festool having a proprietary duct tape. lolol

So in short, I will be buying a CT but not for a couple of months when the new models are available. In the meantime, what to do?

Anyone using Festool tools with another dust collection system? Some way of connecting to a wet/dry vac perhaps? I realize the performance wouldn't be up to par with using a CT but it would seem to be better than no dust extraction at all.

Buy a Fein, the new Turbos have a dual-speed control if you're planning on using it with a sander. I'm using an old Turbo II with my Festool stuff and it works just Fein(pardon the pun). They're just as quiet and cheaper. And, AFAICT, the Festool doesn't have filter bags available to keep the HEPA filter from clogging.

The Fein HEPA filter kit is around $50 from Amazon, you'll want to add a Dust Deputy cyclone(you'd want one with the Festool vac as well) and/or the Fein dust bags to keep the filter from clogging. I use both. A $6 Fein step adapter from Highland to fit the TS55, you'll have to trim it to fit so maybe another for the Domino and sander(one-size- fits-all for the TS-55 and the 1400 router, the Fein hose plugs right into the Kapex, no adapter needed) and you're ready to go.

HTH,

Bill

• 3 weeks later...