Removable base 3 HP router

Bobby Slack

Hello friends,

This summer's project for my mountain cabin. Since I have access to a bunch of standing dead lodge pole pine, I will make my own rails for the deck.

The spindles will be made with this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjzM2tiz-9Q

The manufacturer of the jig suggested for me to buy a Craftsman 3HP router because is cheap and I can remove the base.

I think this is the way I am going to proceed but before doing that ... what other routers could I use where I can remove the base and are cheap?

Another option is to consider another router that later can be used on a router table ...

What say you?

Thanks,

Bobby Slack

post-1482-0-56729600-1310742461_thumb.jp

I believe i've seen the Freud 3 1/4 HP router for $199 at woodcraft on sale. seems like the triton routers can be found pretty cheap as well.

by the way, that's a BEAUTIFUL cabin! i'd like to know more about it. are you building it yourself? i'd love to see more pics if u have them...inside and out!!!

The jig is cool and according to these guys all I need is a cheap Craftsman. My approach is to consider a better router that I can later leave permanently under a router table.

So having the ability to adjust the router from the top of the router table is important.

Interesting jig. The way it is designed, adjustability of the router doesn't matter at all so just find a cheap router with lots of amps and a 1/2" collet. Craftsman is probably the way to go here, unless you can find one used.

I currently own a 3-1/2 HP Freud who lives under my router table. The issue is that I can't remove the base. The jig on the video requires that I take the base off the router.

So my approach to routers is to leave permanent bits on them. If I have a project, the routers become a "tool changer" as I would have a CNC machine. The bits are in and adjusted. Instead of changing bits on a router, I change routers.

Now ... the cabin.

I used 10" logs round outside and round inside. The logs are hand fit with a draw knife, really a fantastic place. The deck is supported by 12" x 12" douglas fir pilons.

I had a local contractor in Colorado build me the shell. Is amazing what these guys do with a chain saw. I installed windows and doors. On the deck I have a 15' bifolding sliding door which is fantastic and used the European style of stacking windows with a rabbet (rebate in Euro English) so the doors have a reverse rabbet and nest into each other. Maloof used this on his cabinetry. This means that I have no astrogolts. Also when you open the sliding bifolding system your living room perception of depth ends in the next mountain range and through the deck(this does not work in winter with -20F)

I believe i've seen the Freud 3 1/4 HP router for $199 at woodcraft on sale. seems like the triton routers can be found pretty cheap as well.

by the way, that's a BEAUTIFUL cabin! i'd like to know more about it. are you building it yourself? i'd love to see more pics if u have them...inside and out!!!

I think you use a tape of sort. My master plan is to do the bulk of the routing with the machine and finish the fit with a draw knife to give the joint a hand made look.

I am a cheater .... :rolleyes:

How does that jig adjust for repeatability of thickness and length of tenon?

I uploaded a bunch of pictures. The cabin was designed with a Universal Design concept. This means that the house is ready for somebody with a wheel chair. All doors in the main floor are 36" wide. Main bathroom has a 5' radius. Hallway is 4' wide. The wrap around deck is covered to soften the transition from dark (inside the cabin) to bright (outside the cabin .... if the sun shines).

There are a lot more pics but I don't want to abuse this forum. Looooove this place and I am leaving Redondo Beach CA next Wednesday at 2 AM to drive to Colorado. 960 miles. I arrive to the cabin at around 6 PM. One day with my cheech and chong van plus my trailer.