Miscellaneous Wood

MaidensGator

My neighbor about 3 houses away sent out an e-mail to our community e-mail list yesterday that said he's moving and had some lumber he wanted to sell, mainly cypress and oak, with some maple and walnut. He said he wanted to sell it as one lot, not break it down, so make an offer. My wife saw the message within an hour of him posting it and I called him up and went over to look at it. It looked like quite a bit of cypress and oak, rough sawn, but some boards 8 to 10 feet long, 1-1/2 inches thick, and 6 to ten inches wide. Some of the boards are only about 4 to 6 feet long, but same width and thickness. I told him I wanted it, but didn't know how much to offer, what did he want to get out of it? He said he'd like a couple hundred, so I said "SOLD for $200".

I went over this morning with the truck and got this load:

post-4928-0-75948300-1311471244_thumb.jp

I estimate there is about 300-350 BF of cypress, 200-250 BF of white oak, a few small pieces of maple and walnut, plus he gave me quite a few cutoffs of oak plywood, 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4", plus some pretty big MDF pieces and other miscellaneous scraps he had laying around. I took everything that he offered. After we cleared out the lumber from his shed, he asked if I could use the brackets. He unscrewed them from the studs and I took them home and screwed them into the studs in my shed, so not only did he sell me all that lumber, he gave me racks to store it on. Oh, he also sold me that 100 year old trunk on top for thirty bucks too. It needs some refinishing but it's a pretty cool piece.

My neighbor told me that a half a dozen people called him last night wanting it, but he told them they were too late. I've known him since I moved here 9 years ago, but he's an acquaintance, not a close friend. I have no idea what I'm going to do with this wood, but it'll be fun trying to figure it out.

if you know anything about spalted maple i put a post on wanting to know how much it costs and find out if i got a steal or got robbed

I saw that post, but you've asked a tough question for which there is no good answer. The price of any wood is directly related to its availability and supply and demand. Supply is related to your geographical location, and varies by species. For example, the maple you refer to is not indigenous to Florida where I live, so it costs more here than it would in New England where it grows. If I buy it from an online dealer up north, I have to pay almost as much to have hard maple shipped as the cost of the wood. Then you have to look at whether the wood is rough cut, planed, sanded, etc. and how big the pieces are. As for being spalted, if the figuring is really neat, it will cost more.

Look online and see how much the wood would cost you including shipping, and you'll have some idea if you got a good deal or not. It doesn't really matter what anybody else thinks, if you think you paid a fair price, you probably did.

I saw that post, but you've asked a tough question for which there is no good answer. The price of any wood is directly related to its availability and supply and demand. Supply is related to your geographical location, and varies by species. For example, the maple you refer to is not indigenous to Florida where I live, so it costs more here than it would in New England where it grows. If I buy it from an online dealer up north, I have to pay almost as much to have hard maple shipped as the cost of the wood. Then you have to look at whether the wood is rough cut, planed, sanded, etc. and how big the pieces are. As for being spalted, if the figuring is really neat, it will cost more.

Look online and see how much the wood would cost you including shipping, and you'll have some idea if you got a good deal or not. It doesn't really matter what anybody else thinks, if you think you paid a fair price, you probably did.

maple and oak is common in central illnois its all prity ruff stuff.

Hi,

I've found access to some really wide walnut 4/4 and 5/4. I've attached a pic of a sample board (with a smaller board atop it for scale). These are generally 20-24 inches wide and about 8 feet long.

What should I ask for them if I buy the whole lot? It's been in a storage unit for 20 years and the owner of the storage thinks that the renter had it for 10-20 years prior to that. There are also some wide cherry boards and some figured walnut sapwood (the board atop the big one) that I think I can get for free.

I'm not a big fan of walnut. I prefer QSRO/QSWO, cherry, and maple.

post-5090-0-87682900-1311691651_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...