Bookcase w/ storage

milwen

Looking for a review of this design. I'm constrained to the 6' width, but the height could vary. I based the height on a 30" tall base and 48" long upper side panels so I could get two out of one sheet of plywood. The base is 18" deep and the shelves are 12". The base face frame is 2-1/2" wide, the upper is 2". I've show inset doors with 2" rails and stiles. It will be painted white. Is there anything I'm missing, or a way to improve it? It doesn't bother me if you rip it to shreds. I asked for it.

Thanks,

Kevin

post-4863-0-22568600-1313763636_thumb.pn

Looks great overall! The one thing that bugs me is the double stile in the middle. Especially on the top, I think that 4" wide chunk of white might look unbalanced against the 2" stiles on the ends. I would try to make the width of the middle stile the same as the ones on the ends.

Somehow the same problem doesn't bother me as much on the base. Maybe because there's not so much contrast between the stiles and the inset doors as there will be between the middle stile on top and the open spaces on either side. In any case, you would probably want to give the same treatment to the bottom as to the top.

-- Russ

Edit: Southwood beat me to it!

Thanks for the input.

I do plan on the center stile being one piece on the upper portion. It will either be the same width as the outer stile or slightly larger, but not double width. I will probably do the center stile with two pieces on the base to make construction and installation easier. I should be able to hide the joint fairly well since it will be painted.

Any ideas on attaching the top to the base? I could do stopped dadoes in the top of the base for the bookshelf uprights, but that seems like a lot of work with no room for error.

Thanks for the idea. I was talking to my dad this weekend, and he gave me the exact same idea. Since the upper and lower side panels are aligned that is probably the only reasonable way to attach the book shelves to the base. The lower side and middle panels would be in the way if I tried to attach the shelves after the top was installed on the base.

• 5 months later...

Did you ever get started on this project? I'm thinking of building something similar but plan to use mahogany for the shelves and "countertop", I'm debating on using it for the doors or maybe just the raised panels in the door. I have some really pretty waterfall bubinga vaneer I was thinking maybe using for the door panels. I also won't be using the beaded panels. I plan to also add a third section, each shelf section being 30 inches wide for 90 inch wide total.