Can someone unlock the Japanese chisel mystery for me?

Eric.

So I've been looking into getting a set, but I have NO idea what's what and who's who and which ones are authentic and handmade and which ones are made in China and just have some Japanese letters carved in the handle.

Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

For example, these on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360024701520?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Legit or no? How do you know? And what's the difference between those and these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360063849912?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

There are several Japanese sellers on ebay, and they all claim that their guy is the greatest metalworker in Japan...obviously they can't all be the best, so someone is fudgin'.

Where'd you get yours, Spagnuolo?

Can anyone put this puzzle together for me? Thanks friends.

As far as those two chisel sets go, the main difference that I can see between the two is that the more expensive set has a more traditional appearance in how the top of the chisel is made.

But I'd pass on both of those sets, since they are made with high speed steel. This type of steel has been making it into more Japanese tools recently, but for the most part I think that using high speed steel in a Japanese chisel is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist for most people. The main purpose of using high speed steel is to provide a steel that is more abrasion resistant than the usual steels used in Japanese tools. But Japanese tools can be used in a wide variety of woods without any problem without going the HSS route, and the downside of using HSS is that it will be more difficult to sharpen those chisels compared to the other choices out there. So unless you plan on using your chisels on a lot of tropicals, like rosewoods or ebony, there are more conventional choices out there.

If you are new to Japanese tools, your best bet is to go with a retailer that's a known quantity. Hida Tool, Japan Woodworker, and Tools From Japan are all good sources for Japanese tools. Many other woodworking retailers have Japanese chisels as well.

My Japanese chisels are the Fujihiro brand from Hida Tool. I think Marc has the same ones. I can say that they work really well, hold an edge for a long time, and are very easy to sharpen.

Yup, Wilbur beat me to it. Fujihiro from Hida Tool is what I use. They are pricey, but I feel each and every one is worth it. Because of the price, I started out by picking up only three chisels (the sizes I use the most). Then every year afterward I would add one to my collection. I think I finally have enough of a range that I can stop buying. :)

Yup, Wilbur beat me to it. Fujihiro from Hida Tool is what I use. They are pricey, but I feel each and every one is worth it. Because of the price, I started out by picking up only three chisels (the sizes I use the most). Then every year afterward I would add one to my collection. I think I finally have enough of a range that I can stop buying. :)

Marc,

Is that possible? Say it isn't true.

Yup, Wilbur beat me to it. Fujihiro from Hida Tool is what I use. They are pricey, but I feel each and every one is worth it.

One problem with Japanese tools across the board is that thanks to the tanking dollar-yen exchange rate, all Japanese tools have gone up in price compared to 3-4 years ago. I remember that the Fujihiro chisels were pretty much the same as Lie-Nielsen chisels cost-wise back then. They are $10-15 more expensive now, and that's completely due to currency exchange rates.

I still think they are worth it as well, though.

So after doing a considerable amount of research tonight, I feel obliged to throw the "white vs. blue" question to you guys as well. Have any experiences that would help me lean one way or another? Sounds like the blue is harder, more brittle, tougher to sharpen, but holds an edge longer. The white sharpens more easily and to a slightly sharper edge, not as brittle, but dulls a little faster and might be a little soft for the hardest of hardwoods.

Anything to add to that list? Think I'm leaning toward a set of white steel Matsumuras because they're slightly cheaper.

What sizes did you start with, Marc? I'm thinking 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and maybe one more.

Did you run across this post on my blog about the blue/white steel thing by any chance?

http://giantcypress....teel-blue-steel

Basically, I think that if chisels are made by someone who knows what they're doing, the blue/white steel difference becomes not very much of an issue. My chisels are white steel, and I have had no problems using them in any domestic hardwood species. If you work with a lot of tropicals, that might be a different story. Personally, as I have gotten more experience with hand tools, I find myself going for "easy to sharpen" over "edge retention". And Japanese chisels across the board can retain their edge for a long time.

So after doing a considerable amount of research tonight, I feel obliged to throw the "white vs. blue" question to you guys as well. Have any experiences that would help me lean one way or another? Sounds like the blue is harder, more brittle, tougher to sharpen, but holds an edge longer. The white sharpens more easily and to a slightly sharper edge, not as brittle, but dulls a little faster and might be a little soft for the hardest of hardwoods.

Anything to add to that list? Think I'm leaning toward a set of white steel Matsumuras because they're slightly cheaper.

What sizes did you start with, Marc? I'm thinking 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and maybe one more. I'm sick of my stupid Buck Bros. and I'm ready for an early Christmas.

Wilber has given good info.

The question I would ask is what type of chisel you want: bench, dovetail, slick (paring). Japanese dovetail chisels are basically just bench chisels but with a slimmer profile, but this makes them pretty durable. They are hooped for use with a hammer (gennou). The slicks have long handles and are only for pushing.

By way of make, I think that Koyamaichi are the best bang for the buck. Lee Valley stock them, as does toolsfromjapan.com

Regards from Perth

Derek

Cool. I also have to know where you found that awesome little brass mallet with the stubby handle...how many ounces is that? I haven't seen those anywhere.

Marc will have to tell you what the head weight of his hammers are, but you can look at them below.

Tite-Hammer / the kind that Marc has.

Right & Left-handed Chisel Hammers / long handles. I don't know if Marc uses these or not.

Here’s Glen Drake’s main page, and this is their Catalog page. They make an interesting Dove Tail saw, and of course the famous Tite-Mark Gauge.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello.

Thanks for the tip on chisels, i have long wanted to get me a good set, and I like to get my set in hand until the roubo bench build ;)

Just a quick question. Maybe not the right plase to put it, but ... How do you maintain the hallow on the back of the chisel, will it not disapare as you are resharpening the edge?.

I have tryed to find info about this on the net, but no luck. Have a nice day.

Best regards Norway

Torgeir Robertsen

I wrote this up a while ago on how to deal with the hollows in Japanese chisels and plane blades.

http://giantcypress....atful-of-hollow

Thanks a lot !!!

Very good information and I now understand how to keep the chisels at it's best.

I will buy my self a set of japanese and keep your article in mind as i sharpen them.

Once again, thanks.

T.Robertsen

Just to follow up on this...

I did end up getting that set of white steel Matsumuras. .25", .50", .75", and 1" for $208, shipped from Craftsman Studio. I haven't had a chance to do anything but fondle them and admire the quality, but I'll report back once I sink them in some wood.

Thanks for the advice all.