good bandsaw blades

tdale51@yahoo.com

hello again all. I just recently purchased my first bandsaw. It's a Delta 28-276, 3/4 horse 110V without a riser block. I only paid 100 bucks for it and it's darn near out of the box new! I'm pretty pleased with that! Any way, I was looking for some opinions for good names in sawblades for it and or names to avoid. I'd also like to know what are some good types of blades to keep around (refering to width, TPI, tooth design etc). As of right now the primary use for the saw will be general curve cutting in 3/4 to 2 inch thick hard and soft wood. I may occasionaly do a little light resawing but with only 3/4 horse power probably not alot. Thanks for any help.

Here’s the Highland Woodworking site specific to their bandsaw blades. The Wood Slicer blade is designed primarily for resawing. Of course you could saw curves if you wanted to with these 1/2” and 3/4” blades, but you would be limited to a minimum cut radius of 2 1/2” and 5 1/2” respectively.

However, you said that you would be doing little resawing so you wouldn’t want the Wood Slicer per say. Can I assume that you are looking at the 1/8" to 3/8" width range for the most part? I’m not sure who makes Highland Woodworking’s general purpose bandsaw blades which go down to 1/8”. Hopefully others will chime in with their favorite brand of non-resawing bandsaw blades and respective teeth/tooth configurations.

I have used the Wood Slicer blades for years now and never had a complaint, really nice blades. Recently I switched to

PS Wood Machines Timber Wolf blade and I have to say, I like them better. I use the 4tpi I/2" blade and it cuts like a

dream and is pretty smooth too. My saw has a 2 hp Leeson which powers through most of what I throw at it, but you might want to try their

3tpi with a lower powered machine.

Hope that helps,

Charlie

As of right now the primary use for the saw will be general curve cutting in 3/4 to 2 inch thick hard and soft wood. I may occasionaly do a little light resawing but with only 3/4 horse power probably not alot. Thanks for any help.

I have a Timberwolf 1/2" 3 tpi blade on my bandsaw. I use it for resawing and for curves. The only time I have to change the blade is if I need to cut a curve that is too tight for a 1/2" blade, which works out to be a curve with a radius of less than 2-1/2".

As far as the horsepower needed for resawing, check this out:

IMG_5828.jpg

I resawed this cherry board, which was 9-10" wide, using the 1/2" 3 tpi Timberwolf blade that I mentioned and a 1/2 hp motor. That's right, 1/2 hp. Back in the day (my bandsaw dates back to the 1940's), bandsaws typically came with 1/2 hp motors even though the bandsaws could resaw 10-12" or so. I'm sure woodworkers in the 1940's had to resaw wood with their bandsaws just like we did.

Overall, I think that good setup and a sharp blade are more important than horsepower when it comes to resawing. It's nice to have a bigger motor, of course, but don't let your motor scare you off of resawing.

Wilbur,

That is truely impressive! Thanks for the encouragement. Everyone, Thanks for all the good advice. I just ordered 2 blades from Highland last night. Since bandsaw blades are not even close to expensive even for quality I'll order a couple of the Timberwolf blades in the not too distant future and go from there to make up my mind. Again thanks to all for the great advice.