Magnolia-Anyone used this?

tim0625

I've been given a few Magnolia logs. I'm not familiar with the wood as far as how "workable" it is in sawing and planing or even if the look of the wood's grain is such that I want to spend time on it. anyone have experience with this?

I've used it for wood turning bowls and for that, it's fantastic! But, for flat work, I know nothing about it's qualities.

I don’t know anything about Magnolia wood but I did find the following online. Here’s a list of Magnolia wood properties. I noticed it says under the “Magnolia Contrast between growth rings” is says “diffuse-porous”. This means that there is not much distinction between the growth rings. It was hard to find good pictures of magnolia wood online, but this site that shows side grain views of turning blanks. You can click on the pictures to get a larger picture. Here’s a picture (see below) I found online of some Sweet Bay Magnolia. It looks like it has some spalting in the lower portion. Unless the lumber you get out of the magnolia log is spalted I wouldn't plan on seeing this much contrast. Here is the main page that the picture below came from. There are many different species of Magnolia (about 80), but I don’t have a clue as to how much visual differences there would be from species to species.

southernmagnolia01.JPG

only thing i know about it is that it is the state tree of mississippy(yes i spelled it out in my head). love to have small pieces of it for my classroom identification board. were cuting pieces that are 1 x 2 and a 1/4 thick to put on the board to show off how wood looks as a unit.

yeah 10-4!! :) The guy included 2 extra blades with it and one of them is a resaw blade, 1" wide....in college, I worked many jobs but one was at night in a grocery meat market. The blue haired ladies always wanted their frozen hams cut in halves. Mannnn, that meat saw scared the heck out of me and the irregular shape of the ham and having to hold it steady while slicing it, NO instruction from anybody on how to even turn the machine on let alone how to safely use it....it's the stuff a bad dream is made of! Yup....me thinks I'll be really careful.

My funniest college, meat market, story...when you got to the meat counter, you took a number...when your number was called, you stepped forward to be served. This day, there were about a dozen middle aged to old ladies waiting along with an Uncle Jessie from the Dukes of Hazzard looking guy- gray hair, gray beard and straw hat...."NUMBER 22"...."Uncle Jessie" stepped forward and said "Boy?, That hamburger fresh?"... Yes sir, fresh ground daily...Uncle Jessie said, "gimmie some to taste"; as the old ladies curiously watched. I put some hamburger on the waxed paper about the size of a grape and started to hand it to the old guy..."BOY!!! GIMMIE ENOUGH TO TASTE!!"...I upgraded 'Uncle Jessie' to a golf ball sized piece and he proceeded to pack the raw hamburger together and throw it in his mouth and EAT IT, STANDING AT THE COUNTER!!! I lost most of the old ladies right then as they shot down the isles holding their mouth trying to not puke. Uncle Jessie got himself 25 pounds of the fresh ground round and went back to his mountain somewhere. When those ladies finally got composed and began to trickle back to the meat counter, I had some fun with them too...."Yes mam....you want that pork chop wrapped to go or shall we make a sandwich right here????"

one night i first week im wraping everything up and starting to clean when in a row i had 4-5 crazy people come in one guy was holding a doll talking to it like it was real kid. one lady wanted to touch every piece of meat. one lady had me wrap up about 150 dollers in asorted meats and then just left her cart with everything in it didnt come back, and another lady kept singing beatles tunes and arguing with herself that the monkeys did not steal there music. this was all in first week when i didnt even know how to do anything and they just left me alone.