Help with identification board

duckkisser

Hello folks i am trying to set up an identification board in my classroom showing off different types of wood. i am making the pieces to be 1/2 thick 4 inches long 1 inch wide. I dont like to ask for hand outs but this is just too big a task to set up in any kind of hurry by myself so i need help. I was hoping that you guys could help me get some wood from your scraps. i only need pieces about that size to fit inside a envelope. i would be more then happy to give you some money for the stamps. here is what i have so far if you have something that is unusual(for instance someone talked about having magnolia) or if you have something that is not on the list please contact me.

We have

Birds eye

Curly maple

Spalted

White Ash

Black Cherry

Black Walnut

Koa (tiger wood from my floor)

Hard Maple

Red Oak

yellow pine

White Pine

Purple heart

Teak

looking for a nice example of crotch/rooster tail, burl, Ambrosia

Sounds like a cool idea. I can send some cedar, fir, southern yellow pine, mulberry, apple and I may have some other stuff kicking around too. The only thing I would recommend is perhaps using thicker chunks so that you can compare the quarter-sawn face with the plain and rift sawn faces. Perhaps even mill them so that they are triangular in cross section to get a different grain pattern on each face.

I love the idea. Don't have much to contribute, but I do have a single piece of Padauk that's approximately the requested size. To be precise, it measures 3/8X7/8X4. If this is good, just let me know the address and it will be in the mail within a day or two.

awsome dont have any padauk and it does not have to be something you bought if you have some wood you cut from a branch and stickered yourself thats great would love to have some wood that is only realy found in small areas or not usualy sold in lumber stores. i would realy like to get a exchange set up where several people are all making identification boards and we can share pices of what we got.

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic idea (and would live to chat about your class at some point too!).

I have some bubinga, plum, Peruvian walnut and curly cherry I could send. Also I have some figured (mottle) ribbon mahogany, and some crotch mahogany veneer you could slap onto a board of your dimensions.

Let me know and shoot me an address.

that would be awsome ben

im realy happy that so many people are steping up to help me with this project. please if i can help you let me know guys. if you need links to a web site on patterns or some or our scrap or just to complain about a issue let me know. im thinking of downloading tons of patterns and projects on my computer from tons of different free pattern sites perhaps i should post them on the net on my own web site.

• 2 weeks later...

ok i have some updates i have yellow heart, red cedar, tulip wood (just plain cool), osage, lyptus. all thanks to kevin (aka mister pants) i have also goten some mahogany( not shire where from probably south america), hickory,and lilac(got that drying now) i was realy excited to get these and it is going to make the board look realy cool when i get done. again if anyone is inturested in doing similar since it fits in perfectly for a wood shop as decoration as a go to board for wood help then let me know and ill send you what ever i can get.

• 1 month later...

Honduran is easy to pick out if you have something like african sitting next to it especially freshly sanded. If you sand Honduran the dust will look almost goldish (really stand out on my black table) and the African will look redish. Notice how the Honduran appears to be blend to the PM ugly mustard. The African would be more of a redish brown. Also look for stripes of what looks almost like sap wood. The Honduran will not have these. Ill see what I can dig up if you looking for more woods.

002 (Medium)-1597847872.JPG?m=1322497515

always dwacker looks like some nice powermatic stuff in back there almost looks brand new :) is this a new build? at least since the fire?

I did four of those last week. Im doing the same as you and building a board for my customers. My supplier is scrounging me up chunks of everything Mahogany or substitute right now. Im going to resaw and frame out each piece, your welcome to the rest for your classroom if you like. I should have them all in the next couple of weeks.

Don

oooooooooooooooooooooo hmmm let me dig through my scraps this weekend and i can send you pieces of what i have goten. have a piece of tulipe wood and a few others. i am glad that i can finaly give back what i have been given. ill make a list of what i can send you and pick what you want.

oooooooooooooooooooooo hmmm let me dig through my scraps this weekend and i can send you pieces of what i have goten. have a piece of tulipe wood and a few others. i am glad that i can finaly give back what i have been given. ill make a list of what i can send you and pick what you want.

You dont need to send me any. I get all I need for free from my supplier. Im just doing the Mahogany and close to first then probably the whiter woods.

Don