Powermatic PM2000 table saw & rising knife

Robb-n-Wood

I just up graded my 1975 Craftman table saw to a new Powermatic PM2000. My question is; I have ordered a 10 inch Woodworker II 40 tooth thin kerf blade. I am woundering what rising knife others our using? The low profile or the standard profile. and if you are using the standard are you using the blade guard?. Do you find that you need blade stablisers on the thin kerf Woodworker II? Any other advice from other owner of the PM2000 to a new owner of the PM2000?

Thanks, Robb-n-Wood

I do not use thin kerf blades on my PM2000. You will not be able to use them without having a thin riving knife. I am not sure if the factory knive/blade guard will work either. I hate to admit it, but I use the low profile riving knife all the time and no guards. The only time it gets removed is when I put in a dado stack.

There are riving knives and guard supports available for use with thin kerf blades. See the Powermatic web site for part numbers then google for a source selling them. You will also find the part number for the standard thickness riving knife on the site

Personally, I use the standard riving knife with .125" kerf blades on my 2000. I don't use stabilizers and am very satisfied with the performance. Like many of us, the blade guard and splitter assembly sits on the shelf. The riving knife only comes out for dado blades or when I embed the top of the blade in a sacrificial fence for special cuts.

Enjoy your new machine, it's a beauty.

Mike

The PM 2000 is plenty stout and will have no issue spinning the full kerf WWII, which is less prone to flexing, so there's really little incentive to use the TK on that saw, unless the wood savings amounts to something to you. There will also be no issues with riving knife thickness using the full kerf.

Blade stabilizers are often unncessary....I'd only get if there's an obvious runout issue, and even then, it's a bandaid not a cure of the root cause.