Hello from LaCrosse WI

oldwolf

Greetings, My name is Derek Olson and I am a hobbyist woodworker working on a plan to go full time pro, I don't have a time table for this it will happen when things are right. I run an ambitious shop and do blog about everything I do out there. (www.insidetheworkshop.blogspot.com) I was a Normite for a long time but due to circumstances I have spent the last year getting exclusively in touch with my neanderthal side and though I've began to use some of my power tools again to accomplish some of the grunt work, I think I could call myself a fully converted hybrid.

I've been lightly lurking around the forum here for a week or two, trying to get the feel for things, I am excited to find a place so full of help and helpful people.

Oldwolf

Greetings, My name is Derek Olson and I am a hobbyist woodworker working on a plan to go full time pro, I don't have a time table for this it will happen when things are right. I run an ambitious shop and do blog about everything I do out there. (www.insidetheworkshop.blogspot.com) I was a Normite for a long time but due to circumstances I have spent the last year getting exclusively in touch with my neanderthal side and though I've began to use some of my power tools again to accomplish some of the grunt work, I think I could call myself a fully converted hybrid.

I've been lightly lurking around the forum here for a week or two, trying to get the feel for things, I am excited to find a place so full of help and helpful people.

Oldwolf

Im from northern illinois currently looking for a small warehouse to rent to start up my thing. Problem is cant find anything small enough or anyone who wants to parcel off a small amout to rent. Keep us posted on your progress! Do you currently have enough work to go full time? Just curious how do you price your work? Do you have any standard formulas? Im stuck on that part.

Im from northern illinois currently looking for a small warehouse to rent to start up my thing. Problem is cant find anything small enough or anyone who wants to parcel off a small amout to rent. Keep us posted on your progress! Do you currently have enough work to go full time? Just curious how do you price your work? Do you have any standard formulas? Im stuck on that part.

I don't have a "pro shop" set up, I have my shop set up independent on some land my parents own, I do not have enough work to get going full time but I have some plans to get started, but I'm gonna take it baby steps for a long while. My plan is to make a few pieces and donate them to some local charities for auction, I like helping out the charity but I am a little selfish in that I'm going to focus on those more publicly supported by those with a higher disposable income, Doctors, lawyers and what not. We'll see if that gets me some attention and hopefully I'll get a few commissions out of that, I'll grow it from there hopefully.

As far as pricing goes, so far I'm playing with a hourly shop rate and have a formula based on the work that goes into a piece. I based this on an article from woodwork magazine. Pricing is tough, I know Adam King, one of the mentors here is working on an e-book about pricing that doesn't use any of those formulas, I'll be interested to see that when it comes out. The coolest thing I have going for me is time on my side, I have another full time job that pays the bills and if I can slowly change the foot from one gas pedal to another I think that's the best way.

Good luck with the search

Oldwolf