Dust Collector decision time

Pachuco

Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a dust collector and I'm comparing between two that I've selected. So here is my setup:

basement shop, about the size of 1 car garage.

Planer

Jointer

Bandsaw

MIter Saw

Table Saw

Scroll Saw

Benchtop router table

I now have a 14 month old in the house and it's time to start doing some real dust collection. RIght now I'm using the shop-vac and manually moving it to each tool. Not ideal at all.

So here is the two that I'm looking at:

Craftex CYCLONE DUST COLLECTOR 2 STAGE 1HP

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/CYCLONE-DUST-COLLECTOR-2-STAGE-1HP.html

Craftex 2 HP Dust Collector with Canister Filter

http://www.busybeetools.com/products/DUST-COLLECTOR-2HP-W%7B47%7DCANISTER-CX-SERIES.html

So it seems to me that the 2nd one is much more powerful then the cyclone specs wise. But the cyclone is more money. Can someone explain to me what the benefit of the cyclone is and why I would pay more money for a much less powerful machine? I asked the guys at busybee and honestly they had no idea.

I appreciate any help you can provide here.

The cyclone allows two stages of dust collection. The heavier shavings and particles fall out through the cyclone, allowing only the fine dusts enter the impeller and into the secondary bag and filter. This will cut down on the amount of dust hitting the filter. You can also purchase a cyclone separately and insert it in the system before the impeller. I've done this with a 33gl trash can and a lid designed to drop the heavier sawdust and shavings into the can. Not a cyclone, but same theory with less efficiency.

that's the thing. The 1HP cyclone is more money then the 2HP DC that I'm comparing it with. And the cyclone says it only has 700+ CFM, which is really low in my mind. What advantages would a 1HP cyclone have over the 2HP unit that would make someone spend more money? this is where I don't understand the value of the Cyclone.

check cregs list i have seen several cyclones on there that are prity cheap and they are the more hefty units. never have to worry about sawdust again but then again a regular dust collector and hook up to a 55 gal barrel will let you seperate out the big stuff and the fine dust so you wont change filters or empty bag as much.

that's the thing. The 1HP cyclone is more money then the 2HP DC that I'm comparing it with. And the cyclone says it only has 700+ CFM, which is really low in my mind. What advantages would a 1HP cyclone have over the 2HP unit that would make someone spend more money? this is where I don't understand the value of the Cyclone.

I understand the confusion. Cyclone we use today are tiny and are somewhat new. Before that they had tweny hp motors and were thirty feet tall in industrial applications. They keep getting down sized to the point that there is no real advantage. Imo 1hp is to small for a cyclone and a bag with a low micron top filter is a better investment. Now if you can go bigger like a 2 or more hp then go cyclone.

Don

So it seems to me that the 2nd one is much more powerful then the cyclone specs wise. But the cyclone is more money. Can someone explain to me what the benefit of the cyclone is and why I would pay more money for a much less powerful machine? I asked the guys at busybee and honestly they had no idea.

Here's the problem with DC specs. They often don't mean what you think they mean. The CFM for both of these machines in all likelihood were measured with the DC's running wide open: no filters in place, and the Y connector attachment at the inlet taken off to maximize the CFM by widening the inlet. Likewise, the static pressure is likely measured when the machine is barely moving any CFM.

Having said that, I would vote for the cyclone, if those are your only two choices. The main problem with the 1 stage DC is that over time dust will clog the filter, reducing your CFM as you use it more. This won't happen to the same extent with the cyclone DC, because the cyclone will cause the majority of the dust to fall into the canister before it gets to the filters. That's what you are paying for.

But I agree that a 1 HP motor seems a little on the light side to be powering a cyclone. I think it will work. It's just that it probably doesn't even generate the claimed 763 CFM under working conditions. I'd try to get a more powerful cyclone if your budget allows.

So you know where I'm coming from, I have a 1 stage 1.5 HP DC with a canister. The only reason I didn't get a small cyclone like the 2 stage cyclone DC that you linked to is that those types of machines weren't available when I was looking for dust collection. In my small basement shop, none of the cyclone DCs available at the time would have fit.

Thank you guys. I got some great responses here and I do have a better understanding of the value of the cyclone now. It looks like I may just have to hold out until I can afford a 2HP unit. Unfortunately we don't have Grizzly in Canada, we have busybee which I believe are sister companies. They have a 3HP and the 1HP I linked to. I'll keep looking around for a 2HP in my area.Thanks!

check out bill pentz's website, and the guys over at clear vue cyclones. There is so much more to dust collection than how many CFM's you are getting out of a DC. Look at efficiency, how much dust is actually being collected and what is being pumped back out the filters. Most of the single stage DC's what doesn't clog the filters gets pushed back out into the shop, and the stuff being pushed out into the shop is the most harmful dust. There are so many factors that go into DC most importantly being able to collect the dust before it has a chance to enter the air and keeping it in the dust collector. I would really do your homework and take a good looks at Bill's website. Good luck hope this helps

Be aware you have two sides to the problem of dust collection.

On one side you want the DC to pull enough dust to work properly for how many tools and how far away they are - HP, CFM and port size etc.

On the other side you have to deal with that dust and the dust collector - Bin size/ease, filter costs/ease and what dust gets past the filter for you to breathe micron/sub-micron etc.

Do not overlook either side and these make a difference every step of the way.

Other things are, do you need a remote or timer and will the DC fit in your shop or dies it need to be portable.