Bowl Turning 101, Questions or Techniques you would like to see.

Roger T

Hi gang, Dont forget to mark your calendars for Wed. Oct 12th 7:00pm CDT.

I've opened this new topic for you all to post questions or techniques that you would like to see discussed during the webcast. As you all know, there is more than one way to get a bowl out of a hunk of wood. Are there any certain aspects you would like to see me cover during the cast?

A rough synopsis of the program is this:

1. Safety talk

2. Tools and Sharpening

3. Log Prep

4. Mounting Options

5. Turning the outside/forming the tenon

6. Turning the inside.

Throw out some more ideas for me to cover. And I will see if I can get them working into the program.

Roger

can you have preped how different angles on the tools can effect the turning. like if a sharper angle will throw off larger ribons? maybe if there is a big difference you can show us on different angles. oh and how to keep the shop from catching on fire safety is very important :)

Hey Roger,

I was really looking forward to this show being a new turner. I may need to work late, and miss some of it. Any chance this will be taped so I can catch what I missed at a later time? Thanks for doing this...

PS: Hope to catch most of it..

Thanks,

Walt (dwws03)

How about going out into the forest and preselecting a tree to cut down for just that perfect penny dish? Just kidding. This is awesome! Thanks for offering to do this for the community. There is so much interest and good ideas, that you might have to start a series.

I would like to see discussion on chisel sharpening and jigs to make it less onerous. I have some amount of frustration with keeping my chisels sharp. Currently I have a 6" bench grinder with coarse and medium wheels. Seldom do I use the coarse, but it feels like going to the medium grind stone a couple times an hour is overkill (and probably prematurely shortening my chisels. I am contemplating buying a benchmount belt sander on which to do most of my edge touch-ups.

I would also like to second the notion of recording this talk. I'd appreciate if the resulting video were made available both for downloading and streaming if possible.

I don't think that anybody is expecting any post-production; just being able to review it later would make me happy.

Roger-

This is going to be good. Im looking foreward to it. As far as mounting options do you have anything home made you can show? How about home made cutters? A good chuck review would be helpfull. Thanks for doing this.

Agree with "Jimmykx250" Would love to talk chucks! Talon, Nova etc.

Cost versus advantages etc.

Jimmy and HMerkle,

I will likely very briefly touch on chucks. For this demo, I just feel that a prolonged talk about chucks and their accessories will not leave me enough time to cover the bowl turning. This could be a good topic combined with tools and sharpening for another interactive demo.

Also, how to select / cut green wood to minimize cracks and maximize appearance!

I seem to be dealing with splits a lot lately!

Thank you!

Wood selection and prep will be covered in the discussion, also, how to try and minimize cracking, and maximize appearance.

Hey Roger,

I was really looking forward to this show being a new turner. I may need to work late, and miss some of it. Any chance this will be taped so I can catch what I missed at a later time? Thanks for doing this...

PS: Hope to catch most of it..

Thanks,

Walt (dwws03)

Walt, I hope you can make it for the full demo. I plan on trying to record this onto UStream. I do not know how it will work though, and this will be rather lenghty.

I would like to see discussion on chisel sharpening and jigs to make it less onerous. I have some amount of frustration with keeping my chisels sharp. Currently I have a 6" bench grinder with coarse and medium wheels. Seldom do I use the coarse, but it feels like going to the medium grind stone a couple times an hour is overkill (and probably prematurely shortening my chisels. I am contemplating buying a benchmount belt sander on which to do most of my edge touch-ups.

gWaldo,

I will touch on sharpening and gouge angles during the demo. Going into this at really any depth tho, will likely eat up a bunch of time that I will need to complete the main portion of the demo. I will put together another webcast to cover tooling, sharpening, and similar items in the near future.

Keep the ideas coming though guys. This is helpful in more ways than one.

Keep your gouges sharp, and the chips flying!!

Roger

I would like to see this as the first in a series, so that you can go into depth on some of these topics on a later 'cast.

Some things I'd like to see covered: under tools, a discussion (however brief) of the benefits / drawbacks between metals used (HSS, Steel, carbide, etc), preferred vendors for tools (with the understanding that these are not the only ones available, just the ones you have developed an affinity for), tool rests, sharpening profiles, sharpening methods, jigs and fixtures used for sharpening.

Wood selection: green wood selection, green wood maintenance, wood drying techniques (in brief), discussion of drying techniques and the types of turning you can/should do (kiln versus air versus green versus...)

Lighting: seeing your work is just as important as turning it

Inside: tool selection, sanding selection, finishing options

I'd also like to see something on segmented, and how you fit it in to the overall turning, but this can be something on a future podcast.

(My OSB series should give you a close idea of my current level of skill.)