Finish Frustration!

JayBear

Ok, So Im still a beginner but need serious help before I get discouraged. My fabrication skills are getting better and in that aspect Im satisfied with my progress but when it comes to finish I could rip my hair out. I finished two projects. Nothing fancy, a set of bookcases for my wife's classroom and a small shelf for a coworker. I sanded both of my project to 180 and they looked great. The shelf got painted white and the bookcases I stained with a Minwax product. I'm ashamed to say that both didn't turn out to my expectations and Im sure its something Im doing wrong. The white shelf has brush marks (ever after I re-sanded it twice)and bookcases are stained uneven and rough places and runs which if I tired to fix I just made it worse. They were however completed well enough to server their purpose.

So Im starting a new project. Something else that's not going to get a lot of public exposure. A large cabinet for our laundry room. Hey, its practice. Its going to be made from some nice male ply and I want recommendations for a beginner in the way of products and methods for application.

I know this sounds really elementary and after looking at some of the skill level of the work Im a bit embarrassed. My wife says to swallow my pride and ask the pros.

And how about this, I'll post picture regardless of how it turns out.

Also, does Marks book about finishing address beginners at my level or should I have some more knowledge before I order it?

Paint wood with a good furniture paint. I like General Finishes Milk paint on wood projects. Next time try a good primer such as Bin, it's a shellac based primer and seals hard so the paint isn't pulled into the wood so quick allowing the paint to flow out. Purchase some of those very small inexpensive paint rollers, they do a nice job.

More importantly, keep practicing, your technique will improve and always paint to a wet edge. Staining is a whole different animal.

-Ace-