Waxing that bare metal

yonygg

Has anyone used plain hard block of paraffin wax to wax down his cast iron machines tops?

I don't have access to all the fancy wax pastes where I live and a block of white-plain-hard parrafin wax is all I have to protect my machines from rust (and to make the surfaces smoother), but I don't know what technique I should use to apply that wax.

Any tip would be good (and videos would be even great)

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Try chopping up the paraffin wax, put it in a jar, pour mineral spirits until they are submerged. Let it sit over night and the paraffin will dissolve into the mineral spirits. Now you can dunk a rag into the mix to spread it out nicely. Just buff when it has flashed off, which can take awhile so maybe do it before you leave the shop so the next day you can buff.

מקווה שעוזר‎ (my guess)

I use it on all my machines and hand tools, as it lasts a lot longer than all the paste waxes. to apply it break a chunk off, and then rub it on like a big fat crayon. Complete coat the surface, so you can see a thick coat of wax every where. for small thing i buff it out with a shop paper towel, for something large like a table-saw, I break out the $20 HF electric buffer.

Similiar to soaking it in mineral spirits, you can also heat it with some mineral oil (at a very low temperature with a vigilant eye, since mineral oil is petroleum based) and then let it cool. When it has solidified again, take a rag and use like a paste wax. You can then use the remainder I the mixture on your curing boards for a penetration finish that is completely non-toxic!