Bookstand reproduction

Richard Link

This is my rendition of the William and Mary bookstand published in the November 2010 Popular Woodworking. The original plan is courtesy of Charles Bender and the Acanthus Workshop.

I ended up making several of these using different techniques to try things out. It was interesting to do the same steps several different ways: hand cut dovetails vs. machine cut dovetails, band sawn side profiles vs. template routed profiles, integral tenons vs. floating tenons, etc.

This one is something I made for a charity auction. It's made of American Walnut with mortise and tenon and dovetail joinery, hand turned bun feet and a traditional shellac finish.

For the finish, I basically put down a thin layer of dewaxed shellac and then sprayed 3 coats of Bullseye amber shellac diluted 1:3 and then toned with Transtint reddish brown dye. Surface leveled with a 500grit Festool pad. Final top coat is wax. This finish feels very nice to touch, has a pleasant color and the entire finish can be done in a day. I have not tried to give it an antique patina although I might fool around with that for the last one in production.

If you are looking for a fun project to try out some techniques, this is a nice one. Thanks for looking.

Richard

post-1693-0-27876600-1319731117_thumb.jp

post-1693-0-07422300-1319731122_thumb.jp

post-1693-0-05657800-1319731125_thumb.jp

post-1693-0-31126000-1319731128_thumb.jp

post-1693-0-42763400-1319731132_thumb.jp

i realy like that im thinking that if you put a picture in the center and change a few things you could hang it on the wall and take down when you needed a book stand.

do you have the plans to this build because i would love to make one for the classroom and it would be great if you could post it.