VERY kid safe finish

Derekkest

Ok, so my 4yr old daughters daycare wants me to make their toys for them. You wouldnt believe how much some companys charge for a set of blocks. Anyways, I need to paint them bright colors etc. when they are done.

I am looking for some paint ideas that are durable, bright, and above all completely kid safe. I know and have heard many times that when a finish dries, it is kid safe. I dont really believe that and since the pieces they gave me to review have teeth marks in them, I want to be extra safe :)

food coloring, and mineral oils (butcher block oil) - food safe. I believe it's as safe as it goes.

or - shellac for the finish :)

That sir is a very interesting idea. I wonder if it will be bright enough when applied (most will be made out of poplar).....I will go raid the wifes baking supplies and let you know :)

food coloring, and mineral oils (butcher block oil) - food safe. I believe it's as safe as it goes.

or - shellac for the finish :)

Cool idea on the food coloring. Going further, you might get more color and more mileage from Easter Egg coloring kits. Might be available in dollar stores at this time of year :)

I just put up a blog post about using different household items as stains... It's called I was dyeing to try this. There are a number of safe stains out there you can give a try.

But, Marc, I think if you assigned each kid a color, the parents would be able to better recognize them... "Who is your daughter? Lucy? Oh, she's the one covered in purple food dye!"

Food coloring will fade and become washed out looking. Paint with a non lead paint. Keep the colors simple for learning colors (now little Jimmy, which block is the hot neon pink one? :P) Shellac as a topcoat. I believe daycare's have to sanitize toys from time to time? So a topcoat for easy cleaning would be my thought.

-Ace-

Salad bowl finish gives a great waterproof/droolproof covering. i know it is not bright, but what about different types of hardwood off cuts, there are some lovely colours.

The other way to go is with the eco organic paints. I use them now i have a child as they are VOC free and contain no harmful stuff. I checked their website and there gloss stuff says it is safe for toys under EU regs.

Here is the one i just checked

Ecos organics

You might have to use shellac as a sealer either way. Even if you get the food coloring to be as bright as you want, you will have a room full of kids with food color all over their hands and mouths. :) Could be very funny, unless you're a parent.

Your talking to a father who drew eyebrows, mustache and beard on his daughter while she slept. But, you do have valid points. I spose it would be kid safe if I used a latex paint, and sealed it with a few coats of shellac.

I got into my wifes food coloring lastnight....I can get decent colors, but not bright enough for what they are looking for. Although i was banned from her baking supplies, I may use that idea for future toys as it did come out pretty cool looking.

I got into my Wifes food coloring last night....I can get decent colors, but not bright enough for what they are looking for

Try using the denatured alcohol as your transfer agent. The color sample is on white oak, alcohol intensified the food-color. I replaced wood in an outdoor bench and used the food color on the wood of the floral inlay.

-Ace-

post-571-090579400 1282737949_thumb.jpg

Ok, so my 4yr old daughters daycare wants me to make their toys for them. You wouldnt believe how much some companys charge for a set of blocks. Anyways, I need to paint them bright colors etc. when they are done.

I am looking for some paint ideas that are durable, bright, and above all completely kid safe. I know and have heard many times that when a finish dries, it is kid safe. I dont really believe that and since the pieces they gave me to review have teeth marks in them, I want to be extra safe :)

For bright colors that are 100% safe, like completely VOC free, you can't beat milk paint.

For bright colors that are 100% safe, like completely VOC free, you can't beat milk paint.

I looked at milk paint also, but I was told it has lye in it which kinda turnedme off on it. Now I havent asked any further on it and it may be worth doing so :)

Where from in Ohio? Im in Cleveland :)

I looked at milk paint also, but I was told it has lye in it which kinda turnedme off on it. Now I havent asked any further on it and it may be worth doing so :)

Where from in Ohio? Im in Cleveland :)

No lye that I'm aware of, at least not in the stuff I use which comes from The Old-Fashioned Milk Paint Co. (www.milkpaint.com) I know traditional milk paint contained lime, but not lye.

General Finishes makes a "milk paint" of sorts but it's not true milk paint, more like a latex/acrylic paint. Check out the info on their contents, etc. here:

http://www.milkpaint.com/downloads/MSDS_MilkPaint_SafePaint_08.pdf

I'm in Cincinnati, by the way. I would normally be obliged to make a joke about Cleveland but in the spirit of woodworkers being friendly folks I'll refrain. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I got a new Highland Woodworking catalog a couple days ago and was flipping through it tonight. On page 65 of the catalog lists "Arti Toymakers' Dyes". They are "safe, non-toxic dyes in eight bright clear colors suitable for use on children's toys and furniture" They come as a powder you mix with water and you seal over the dye with shellac or butcher block/salad bowl finish. Madmungo suggested salad bowl finish as well. At least these dyes are specifically made for what you are after (if you haven't already gone off to paint them with high-lead phosphorescent magnetic paint).

So I looked up the link: Arti Toymakers' Dyes

If you don't use the toymaker's dyes, the easier-to-find solution would be to paint them with crayola paints, then seal with shellac.

I apparently ate a *lot* of crayola paint back in the day. I turned out mostly alright. :-)