TABLE TOP DAMAGED

KRAM121881

Ok, I had a friend come to me tonight with a finish problem that I don't know the answer to. He has hardwood dining room table that his daughter used as an ironing board using one of those ironing board mats well the mat got hot and now the finish under the mat got cloudy as seen in the picture bellow. Any ideas how to fix this without stripping and refinishing the whole table?

Thanks

Mark Maslonkowski

post-353-0-15921300-1320536168_thumb.jpg

A couple of questions - do you know what the finish is? That might make a difference in the solution.

How deep is the damage? If it is just to the very surface of the finish and doesn't go all the way through to the wood you might get away with just buffing the damage out. It is possible that the cloudiness is really just part of the iron board that stuck to the table or that just a tiny bit of the surface of the finish is affected.

A couple of questions - do you know what the finish is? That might make a difference in the solution.

How deep is the damage? If it is just to the very surface of the finish and doesn't go all the way through to the wood you might get away with just buffing the damage out. It is possible that the cloudiness is really just part of the iron board that stuck to the table or that just a tiny bit of the surface of the finish is affected.

I have no idea what the finish is.

the surface is smoth and appears clean I don't think there is any part of the iron board still on the surface. what would you recommend to try to buff it out?

Thank you all

Mark Maslonkowski

I have no idea what the finish is.

the surface is smoth and appears clean I don't think there is any part of the iron board still on the surface. what would you recommend to try to buff it out?

Thank you all

Mark Maslonkowski

Thinking about it JMadson could be right - the iron may have pushed steam (water) into the finish.

If it were my table I'd get a clean cotton rag and some denatured alcohol and try a few light passes over a small area of the cloud. I'd bet it will start to clear up.

test the denatured alcohol on a section that won't be seen often, as it might be a solvent for the finish already on. (My knowledge of finishing is limited to "once I'm done sanding it goes either outside or in the fire..." so don't take my advice as from the horse's mouth. Probably the other end is a better location...)

But I'd think some passes with slightly increasing pressure with a clean cotton rag would do far better than any passes with sandpaper on this case.

• 2 weeks later...