Tiling a basement floor

Eric.

Definitely off-topic, but I figure most folks here have some crossover experience with construction and home improvement, so I figured I'd throw it out for some opinions...

I'm finishing my basement, and I'd like to put tile down in the bar area and the bathroom. Leaning toward slate, but maybe just ceramic or porcelain. I was chatting with my neighbor and he said I shouldn't use tile because if the concrete has any cracks, it will ulitmately crack the tile with any seasonal movement. The concept makes sense, but I'd never heard that before.

Anyone know if there's truth to this, and if so, is there anything that can be done to avoid that potential problem? I thought maybe a sub-layer of Durock would work, but I'd like to NOT spend the extra money and labor on that if it's not necessary.

Thanks guys.

Well slate is supposedly more durable than ceramic, and applied directly to a concrete floor would make it even more resistant to cracking from a dropped item. Couldn't be any worse off than standard tile in a kitchen, no?

Yeah Dave, that Durock I mentioned is a type of concrete board we have here in the states like you were talking about. But geez, the extra expense and labor isn't all that appealing. Guess I need to do more research.

Thanks for the advice guys.

In concrete, there are cracks and there are cracks.

When a large surface of concrete cures, it's OK if there's the occasional hairline here or there. Such cracks are harmless, provided that they don't start to shift vertically. If your slab has any cracks that have opened up and are shifting up and down, then you'll want to lay something on top (sleepers and a subfloor) before installing cement board and, finally, your choice of tile.

In concrete, there are cracks and there are cracks.

When a large surface of concrete cures, it's OK if there's the occasional hairline here or there. Such cracks are harmless, provided that they don't start to shift vertically. If your slab has any cracks that have opened up and are shifting up and down, then you'll want to lay something on top (sleepers and a subfloor) before installing cement board and, finally, your choice of tile.

That makes sense...kind of what I was thinking. I have a few cracks, but no real CRACKS. The house is about 20 years old, so I figure if anything drastic was going to happen, it would have already happened. The hairline cracks that are present haven't changed in the five years I've lived here.

Additionally, the previous homeowner tiled another area of the basement, and they are still intact. Maybe I should have just used my brain and considered that a green light before I posted. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips.

You can also go with a high density cork underlayment between the concrete and the tile. Tile stores should have this available or you can order it online. It's about 1/4" thick and 4' wide rolled. You put it down to the concrete with a urethane flooring adhesive, then roll it flat. Once the glue cures you can go right over it with your latex modified thinset to lay the tiles. The cork will shield the tile from minor movements of the concrete subfloor, and it acts as a thermal break so the tile isn't quite as cold.

There's also that membrane you can put down that goes in shower units. If i remember right, it's primary purpose is to hold tiles together in moist environs, which might be a benefit if you're talking about putting tile in a bar...

But I tend to avoid tiling like I do sanding....